New...ish member, & dtr 125 cold smoke issue?('91 j-reg)

Eddie1zthc
This post is 4452 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, quite new to the forum, although i have spent a lot of time reading various bike related topics on this forum, its my first time creating a thread so if its all wrong apoligies inadvance & would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction (iphone seems alot more fiddly to use than a laptop).

Now for the problem im having -

I have a '91 dtr 125 that smokes like a trooper when cold, i mean thick smoke, when warm the engine is mint, sounds nice, runs nice, fast and no smoke, just when its cold it smokes bad, id say from stone cold it starts 2/3 kicks with choke and throws out thick smoke for around 3 mins max, when i blip the throttle the smoke gets worse(as throttle opens smoke gets thicker, slightly lessens when closing) and if i rev hard it sounds rough like its choking the engine, but after that 3mins it clears up to nearly no smoke at all and runs real nice, i can leave it for half hour and it will still start first kick with no smoke & without choke, but an hour or longer im back to square 1 smoking the street out. i thought bad crank seals, but i have another dtr engine with rotten seals & a case full of gear oil and that smokes constantly doesnt clear. But what else could it be? The smoke s very thick, plug looks wet/oily but i havent seen it after the engine runs good only while its smoking, would it be wise to get 2 plugs - warm bike up with 1 - when its running nice swap to new plug and check that? I could bet it will be a nice tan after its warm.

Or could it be a cruddy pipe??

Or could the seals just be on their way out and swelling when warmed up??

What do you guys think?

Your thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Oh and sorry for the long boring post :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to the forum Eddie1. My bike smokes when cold, but I wouldn't call it thick (and as a two-stroke I think it's to be expected)... so obviously I'm no help at all on that front. :P But the other members aren't as clueless as myself so I'm sure they'll help you get it sorted.

I should suggest that you post an intro in the new member section just to let the folks know who you are. :)

Is there a way to move the thread using an iphone? Or do i just start a new topic in the correct section and copy/paste it there? or should i make a seperate topic in new member section just as an intro and link to it? Sorry, still getting used to using forums:)

Thanks for reply, :)

Done that, think im getting used to the mobile site now, introduction in new member section, :)

Its normal for the smoke, all 2 strokes do it. its caused by the cold engine components. The oil really doesent want to be a fine mist at low temperatures so drops out of the petrol.

As the engine warms up it burns off, letting the engine idle makes it worse. Road going 2 strokes are a start and go breed. Not start, put on lid, etc.

Don't go from zero to motocross mode though run it steady till the smoke clears, should only be a mile or 2 then you can give it the beans.

Conversly letting the engine idle for half a minute before turning it off, will help as the engine can settle down and will have burn away any excess before it stops. Worst off all blipping the engine before shutting it down.

Cheers for that cynic, i have tried riding strait from start up, it just fouls the plug an dies, i found blipping the throttle helps clear it up quicker, it only smokes for around 2-3 mins tops(prob not even that) but it is bad, worse than iv ever seen before, looks like very thick cigarette smoke just before you inhale it, my kmx125 did this too but not as bad(some little buggers nicked it before i had chance to look over it properly).

Really, thanks for that input, much appreciated :)

All the best & safe riding :) Eddie.

Cheers for that cynic, i have tried riding strait from start up, it just fouls the plug an dies, i found blipping the throttle helps clear it up quicker, it only smokes for around 2-3 mins tops(prob not even that) but it is bad, worse than iv ever seen before, looks like very thick cigarette smoke just before you inhale it, my kmx125 did this too but not as bad(some little buggers nicked it before i had chance to look over it properly).

Really, thanks for that input, much appreciated :)

All the best & safe riding :) Eddie.

Prob got the choke on too long.

Ha you should see the smoke that comes from my TDR

Lol, So you have a smoker too then, glad im not alone. thanks again :)

All the best. Eddie :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online