CT175 lots of questions

HarleyCT175
This post is 4452 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am new at this. I have had a Yamaha 175cc dirt bike since I was 12 years old. Got it as a christmas present. It was my second motorcycle ever, my first was a Italian made Indian 50cc dirtbike. I am now 33 and wanting to fix the Yamaha up for my 11 year old boy. My father made it look like a dirt bike with a TT tank decals, stripped down look and knob tires. I am now researching the bike so I can figure out where to start in getting it to run. I can not find a number on the engine but it looks original. The number on the frame is CT1-082606 which tells me it was a CT175 Enduro? Is that right? Can anyone tell me what year it is? Seems like everywhere I look says something different. I will need a coil and a spark plug wire since it looks like it is missing now. The bike has been sitting for at least 15 years. The last time it ran it would not idle and would only run if you held the choke open all the time. The Mikuni carb needs to be replaced I believe. Anyone know if Yamaha still makes parts for these bikes? Where is the best place to get replacement parts? Where is the best place to get service/maintenance manuals?

Thank you for your help.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's customary to introduce yourself in the new member section. Just tell the folks a little about yourself. :)

I don't know if you've seen this site (http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/review/yamaha-vintage-dirt-bike-id-guide-21792.html), but it lists the CT series and correspomding years for the starting VINs. Maybe it will help?

You may be able to get a rebuild kit from somewhere like this http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/CARBURETOR_REBUILD_KIT_YAMAHA_P8578C697.cfm.

Yambits and eBay may have parts too. I got the manual for my '72 G7S off eBay. I'm sure other folks with more experience will have more (and better) suggestions. :)

:welcome: to the YOC!

Welcome H,ct3 , the carb just needs stipped , running on choke , means the pilot jet needs cleaned,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online