Starting/spark plug problems with an xvs 125

skinspoison
This post is 4373 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everybody, i've owned this for about 2 years now, it hardly ever gets ridden due to weather/job/time and various other reasons, i have been on a 2 week holiday recently so essentially the bike hasnt been able to stretch its legs for about 6 weeks (terrible i know)

A few days ago it was reluctant to start, took the spark plugs out, cleaned them and it was fine again

Yesterday was the same, took them out and cleaned again but it was alot more reluctant so i bump started it and let it run for a while

Today it is completely dead, spark plugs aren't sparking at all

The wiring and fuses look fine in the battery compartment, im no where near mechanically minded so i could only check the "easy bits"

I may add some fuel cleaner to it lately just to clear (if there is any) sludge and other nasty stuff laying in the tank and carb

After a bit of reading here and a few other sites it looks like its pointing to ignition coils, just wondering for a second opinion

Im a pretty confused on this one as it hasn't been moved or jolted or abused due to being somewhat regularly started, just not ridden.

Any suggestions at all is a huge help!

Many thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you checked/charged the battery?

Letting it run for a while will not generate sufficient charge to top up a low battery, and the sort of use you are getting from it will not keep a battery charged. Have you got an optimate or similar charger that you can leave on all the time it is not being used?

cheers

Peter