DT175 VIN identification

Sacha
This post is 4319 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all! Years ago I acquired a DT175 that had a seized clutch. The engine number is 559-005931 and the engine number matches. I've done a search of the forum and found this link for the US model identification. It's coming up as a 1976 DT175C on that site, but according to my notes from at least a decade ago it's a 1977 DT175 C. If I remember right I got that information from someone at the local Yamaha shop. Does anyone know if that VIN is from 1976 or 1977? Is there much difference between the '76 and '77 models? I plan on starting a project thread as this bike is now a basket case and I have my work cut out for me... but I'm quite looking forward really. :yeah:

Thanks in advance!

Sach

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The US spec bikes are tricky to date, there were no 125/175 yams imported in 77. So your bike will have been a 76 the first of those would have arrived september 75, with the high number it was probably late 76 when it was produced.

With shipping and most likely dealers having long stock in 77 it may well have been registered in 77.

Thank you both! I once had a manual for this bike too, but cannot for the life of me find it... looks like I'll have to get another one. :(