Rear Brake Problem

Grouch
This post is 4456 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ive just got a new rear brake caliper and tried fitting it today. It is definitely the right caliper for my model of bike. The problem is whilst I am bleeding it, it isn't developing any pressure to press the pads against the disk. The caliper seems to be all working fine. I tried bleeding it continuously for hours today and still no joy.

Does anyone have an idea on what the cause is?

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Will it gravity bleed through...ie hold it higher than the rear master pump. air will rise might take a bit....if so than your rear master cylinder(pump) is the problem.

The other thought is if it's used ......the square o ring and piston might be corroded and need to be cleaned up. If your old one wasn't leaking brake fluid you might just be chasing your own tail. Old crapy brake fluid my have rotted your old caliper or master clyinder and the "new/ used" might have the same problem.

Try pushing out the old pistons ...If they have pits they are junk...and see if they have a bunch of corrosion if so just clean up everything with brake fluid and a rag( not the hag) till it sparkels and have another go at it

I got it sorted, I had a mess a bout with the pump and then bled it again. Its not as good as it was but it works perfectly. It was a complete pain in the arse and it didn't help doing it in the rain.

Never do brakes in the rain. Brake fluid attracts water. I personally would start again in the dry. I've yet to meet someone who can afford to have brakes fail on them.

Just out of curiosity, if they are not as good as they were before and are now working perfectly, what were they before!!!!

Never do brakes in the rain. Brake fluid attracts water. I personally would start again in the dry. I've yet to meet someone who can afford to have brakes fail on them.

Just out of curiosity, if they are not as good as they were before and are now working perfectly, what were they before!!!!

Lol, no they work perfectly, I've just been out for 3 hour ride as well and the new brake is fine,it just feesl a little different than before but there's a brand new caliper and set of pads on now. When the weather is dry (hopefully tomorrow) I'm going to fit some new front pads so I'll have another look at the rear brake then.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online