new to forum, new to yamaha, new to shaft drive

tan.nguyen
This post is 4377 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I probably should have researched this before I got this bike, but got a bit excited about the XVS650 that I bought one over the weekend, it's an 05 model, has 65,000 kms on the odometer.

This is my frist shaftdrive system so I'm not sure hwo to maintain it besides keeping the oil full in the final gear?

Is there anything else I need to know? bearing in mine I'm new to biking so no monkey wrenching experience.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

I have done about 60 thousand miles on Yamaha shaft bikes XJ/FJR, as you said all I have done is checked and changed the oil as per the service schedule, on the divi I did take the swing arm off and the final drive off to allow me to paint the swing arm, the shaft drive and final drive gear case came off as a single unit and was easy to refit also the rear wheel was easy to remove and refit. on the whole I am pleased with the 2 shaft driven bikes I have had.

Hope you find the same as me.

You might want to say hello in the new members bit, people can get a bit tetchy if you don't.

Hi And Welcome,

First top tip with the shaft is to put some heat shrink over the shaft its self so that it protects it from any crap, and as Nayruf said, just drain and change oil as per the manwell and your be fine, they are very low maintenance un like a chain.

thanks for the help....

I've seen some sites that suggests I should take the final drive apart and lube the spline using moly paste. Not sure whether this is recommended,

I'll pop by the newbie and introduction forum.

Hi

I took my final drive off my Divi at about 30.000 miles to paint the swing arm, it came apart without a hitch, however when I re-assembled it I did use a graphite type of grease,

thanks for the help....

I've seen some sites that suggests I should take the final drive apart and lube the spline using moly paste. Not sure whether this is recommended,

Defiantly Moly the splines as Yamaha dont put enough on.

Shafts are reliable, the only shaft issue"s i"v heard [ seen] is a BMW, CV joint on shaft breaking up, @ 100,000 plus. miles,

good buy :thumb:

BMW have a lot of trouble with there shaft drive especially the non service unit of couple yeas back, and they are dealer fix only unless you have the correct tools.

If you rag the absolute fuck out of it and are very sharp on the throttle & engine braking, you'll cause problems... eventually.

But yeah, shafties are cool as and low-maintenance as can be, really!

Just follow the manual and ye'll be fine!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online