Heli coil on engine studs, weird size?

atocp
This post is 4468 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I posted a couple of years ago about an engine block that I had stripped the threads off where the stud goes in. I repaired it using Epoxy Steel Weld (which was amazing, actually took 2 mole grips, a stud extractor, 50cm lever and a blowtorch to remove!!). However, I have decided to replace the studs and need to drill out and put in a Heli-Coil thread repair.

My problem is this....using a digital calliper, I measured the diameter of the stud as 6.25mm. The diameter of the threaded ends was ~6.7mm. I didn't measure the pitch.

I can't use an M6 helicoil because it'll be too tight. What size should I be looking for, as Heli-coil's seem to come in the metric M5, M6, M7 sizes, and don't really cover the 6.25mm or 6.7mm size that this stud seems to be. In fairness, the epoxy weld was sooooopper strong, so it's still a last resort, but i'd rather use a tap and die set and repair the thread.

Many thanks for any help you can give me on this. Bit by bit, im slowly getting there.

Thanks,

atocp

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Airhead, thanks for the reply.

can you not get sizes in between for any kind of thread repairs? what happens when you can't accept a tolerance of something between say an M6 and an M7, is there another way to fix a thread like this when you are stuck with a specific stud size?

many thanks again,

atocp

Thanks again Airhead. I'll buy some M7 helicoils and give it a go. The worst that can happen is im left using the epoxy weld, which was crazily strong first time round.

It was the 4 cylinder head studs on the YB100 that i was having problems with.

Cheers again,

atocp

i tried that, but unfortunately it didn't really suggest a size. Yamaha-90116-07035. M080731Y. But i checked the schematic and it didn't reveal any extra info. I'll pop onto ebay and get some M7's and give it a go.

Thanks again,

atocp

i tried that, but unfortunately it didn't really suggest a size. Yamaha-90116-07035. M080731Y. But i checked the schematic and it didn't reveal any extra info. I'll pop onto ebay and get some M7's and give it a go.

Thanks again,

atocp

It is 7mm then see what i highlighted...;)

Thanks again,

atocp

here's me thinking it was 6.7mm......see what i highlighted... :icon_biggrin:

haha. i've just bought the (extremely hard to get hold of) M7 kit, i'll let you know how it all goes.

atocp

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online