Need Help w/ Reserve Tank Switch

dcs
This post is 4466 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I took the tank off my 1983 xj550r to paint it, put it back on and gas is pouring out odf the carbuerator.

Took the tank back off and found that there are two wires that go to the electronic fuel gage

are compromised. When I tried to start it,(it was really low on gas,) i poured maybe 1/2 gal. in and immediately gas poured into the

carb with the reserve tank switch in the off, my question is would the electronics of the switch/gage system possibly cause

the gas to be released from the reserve when the switch is in the off position rather than the intended result?

I'm stuck and really would rather not be here as the day winds down, it'll start but won't stay running, when i first tried to start it it acted like it was seized for a few minutes and i couldn't even get it to rell..................any insight or suggestions would be greatly GREATLY APPRECIATED.Thank You

Dwayne

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Dwayne, I don't think that the tank sender has any affect on the fuel flow, especially on a bike of that vintage, so I would think that your problem is that one of the floats in your carbs is stuck down or that the tap (petcock) is faulty, try GENTLY tapping the sides of your carbs to see if the float will drop back into it's proper position, if not then you will have to take the carbs off and do a strip down to get at the offending part it might be something really easy to fix or a complete bugger to solve but try the simple approach first. Wish you luck, if you still have a problem then come back and we can try something else. :jossun:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online