what is going on with my gear box?

This post is 4467 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello there people, i have a 2003 yamaha dtr 125 and it has a problem. when i run the bike and reach to about 7000 rpm, the gearbox is spewing a creamy substance out between the crank case and the engine block. what im wondering is if the seal has gone, and if so, what kind of a job is it. and is the gearbox supposed to build up pressure?

now go easy on me as im new to this club and do not have that much experience with fixing bike engine ect.

cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Waterpump seal has gone, relatively easy to repair if you know one end of a spanner from another.

You want to stop riding it though, and cleaning out all the creamy crap (water mixed with oil) will test your patience.

thanks for the tips guys, i have stopped riding it as the head gasket went last week, sorted that and now this has happened, any tips on how to fix the water pump. and is it best to drain the gearbox oil, if so how? :shakeno: sorry not that familiar with dts

Oh, drain the gearbox oil. You haven't grasped this.

The waerpump is driven from a shaft that comes from the crank, part of the gearbox. There is a seal keeps the oil in the gearbox and the water in the cooling system. That is the seal that has gone. Once your engine has put pressure into the cooling system it has forced the water straight into the gearbox.

The creamy stuff, is your gearbox oil thouroughly mixed with coolant by your gearbox internals and is as much use now in therre as fresh dog poo.

It will be a real pain to get out, meths or petrol may help, you just got to keep flushing till its gone. You may have to pull the motor to do it properly.

ahh, that sounds good, its all making sense now. thanks very much to all of you for your time and help :) just one more thing, when you say just keep 'flushing' it out, how do i flush it out, is there a way i drain the oil out of it?

thanks again :)

Fix the seal first

While the cover is off clean out any emulsified oil you can access and re-fit the cover with a new gasket...wemoto?

Fill to the required level with diesel (red if you can get it...its cheaper), start the engine and allow it to warm up..and the drain the diesel remembering to lean the bike to the right to drain effectively...dispose of diesel and drained oil properly at your local refuse site :thumb:

Fill to correct level using motorcle specific oil

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online