fazer advice

kearnsy123
This post is 4355 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

goin to view a 2000 yamaha fazer 600 tomorow is there anyting i should look out for when buying a 2nd hand fazer any advice would b great thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

PAT " [two-wheels] has a fazer , 600, i"v riden it, its was fab ,,,, pat , any blips ? :eusa_think:

This is what I'm on at the minute - great bike to be honest. I'd keep an eye on the downpipes as they're prone to rotting. I'd also look out for ...... em ........ can't think of any other problems I've had to be honest. Bit thirsty on fuel I suppose but otherwise a great all rounder. Good choice :luck:

Yep, prone to rusting up front,,,, downpipes,,frame,,,, round the oil filter,,,take a good look and make sure its been looked after arround these areas.

They all have a Clunky gearbox,,, 1st and 2nd,,,,,,so dont let that put you off, its in there nature.

If milage is starting to get high, start engine, let it warm up,,, listen to engine at idle, then take her to 3000 rpm and hold it there, listen to engine down close with your ear,,,,,, it should be smooth as silk,,,both sides,,,,you can here the oil flowing through it. What ya dont want to here is any kind of chain rattle, or fluckuation of the revs.

At idle the rev counterclock/ should stay steady not jumping,,,,carb balancing if its dancing up and down the revs,,,,not a reason not to buy.

Put on centre stand,, check wheel bearings,,,,and head stock bearing.

All in all,,,,it should look good everywhere,,,,if its not dont buy,,,,,there's lots of these bikes arround and a good one will come up.

So if it looks rough, then it probably is.

If it looks good, make sure its not just dickied up for the sale, have a good close look.

All the usual check after this,,,,

There a good bike and very underestimated.

HTH

Pat

Clunky gearbox indeed 2 Wheels ...... dropping down into 1st at the lights sounds roughly like a meteorite hitting the ground 2 feet behind you. Not exactly the smoothest sound when trying to impress at the lights :icon_redface1:

Yep, prone to rusting up front,,,, downpipes,,frame,,,, round the oil filter,,,take a good look and make sure its been looked after arround these areas.

They all have a Clunky gearbox,,, 1st and 2nd,,,,,,so dont let that put you off, its in there nature.

If milage is starting to get high, start engine, let it warm up,,, listen to engine at idle, then take her to 3000 rpm and hold it there, listen to engine down close with your ear,,,,,, it should be smooth as silk,,,both sides,,,,you can here the oil flowing through it. What ya dont want to here is any kind of chain rattle, or fluckuation of the revs.

At idle the rev counterclock/ should stay steady not jumping,,,,carb balancing if its dancing up and down the revs,,,,not a reason not to buy.

Put on centre stand,, check wheel bearings,,,,and head stock bearing.

All in all,,,,it should look good everywhere,,,,if its not dont buy,,,,,there's lots of these bikes arround and a good one will come up.

So if it looks rough, then it probably is.

If it looks good, make sure its not just dickied up for the sale, have a good close look.

All the usual check after this,,,,

There a good bike and very underestimated.

HTH

Pat

well went and viewed the fazer diseve and i have to say i was impressed . i checked for rot etc and it looks good .i done the wheel check u said n that was good . it started on thr botton from cold i let it warm up a bit and held the ruv at 3000rpm and it was steady as a rock , i listened to both side of endine for chain noise alto i didnt hear any chain noise there was a ticking sound like the sound car fuel injectors make would this b anything to worry about ?? i took it for a spin not two far just enuf to go up and down the gears and "F_ _ K ME" theres plenty of power there sadly ive to restrict the one i buy to 33kw . there was a bit of a rattle outa the drive chain two maybe it was due to me driving in a high gear two slow i dunno . but its tempting . im just causious as i want a good one

The ticking noise (presumably when you turn the key) is simply the fuel as you say -perfectly normal. As for the rattle this can be caused by low revs in too high a gear but perhaps 2 Wheels can enlighten you better than I can! I rode mine before it was restricted and then for the 2 years following - sadly there is quite a discernable difference (esp in 4th and upwards) but better to be a good little law abiding citizen of course ....... :eusa_whistle:

no the ticking sound is when shes idle,n ???? comeing from both sides of engine block could it b the exhaust ?? ive that ibt course comeing up soon then my full licence test so she wont b restricted for long . thanks again fo all the advice deposit left im picking it up friday !!!!

How many miles are on the bike ???

alto i didnt hear any chain noise there was a ticking sound like the sound car fuel injectors make would this b anything to worry about ?? if its a constant ticking sound at idle then its ok,,,,the ticking sound should get faster (but evenly just like at idle) as you slowly higher the revs,,, if it doesnt and it starts to vary then she may well need some shim's,,,,,, again not a reason not to buy BUT if bike has low miles and is needing shims then she has been drivin hard,,,,,, so do the check again and listen carefully.

just enuf to go up and down the gears,,,, do this again too, but this time were only interested in 2nd gear,,,,get into 2nd and throttle hard,,,then close off the throttle for a min,,,throttle hard again,,,,then off again. Give it 2 or 3 blips of throttle aswell,,,,,your trying to see will it jump out of gear,,,,, these bikes are a relative of the Thundercat!!! this prob can be an expensive fix. Dont go too mad and take off wheeling, ok

there was a bit of a rattle outa the drive chain two maybe it was due to me driving in a high gear two slow i dunno Suppose that could cause the chain to rattle up and down,,,,could also be just not adjusted propper. Have a look at the sprocket's for wear, hard to see the front one but do your best,,,,,, might caust you da price of chain and sprocket's but no big prob.

im just causious as i want a good one

deposit left im picking it up friday !!!!

Not that causious then eh!!

Can ya bring a mate,,,as 2 sets of eyes are better than 1. He may see something you miss.

So far she sounds a good bike

theres 40 thousand kms on the bike . il pop back over diseve with a mate and have another check . thanks

and its a 2000 reg bike

with other than him self there are 2 previous owners

well collected the fazer today and i hav to say its a great bike . it has a cupple of extras like heated grips n a chrome chain guard and rad guard both with fazer on them and a carbon shark exhaust system . over all ounce i gave it a goin over its in very good condition and starts on the botton . for sum reason it has blue wheels on it the bike is black but looks good il try up load sum pics . thanks again for all the advise

well collected the fazer today and i hav to say its a great bike . it has a cupple of extras like heated grips n a chrome chain guard and rad guard both with fazer on them and a carbon shark exhaust system . over all ounce i gave it a goin over its in very good condition and starts on the botton . for sum reason it has blue wheels on it the bike is black but looks good il try up load sum pics . thanks again for all the advise

Well sir,,,,best of luck with her.

If ya need a restriction kit for it,,, i know a lad down the country that does second hand ones. So ya dont pay for the kit just whatever he chaarges to fit it,,,,and he's very reasonable,,,,, he's a propper garage so youll get cert and whatever else goes with these things. I've never had a bike restricted so i dont know the details of what insurance company's want.

If ya want his number let me know on here.

Where in the country are ya?

For pictures see the FAQ section in new members. I'd like ta see the bike please.

sounds good 2 wheels im in kildare all the insurance want is the cert . they said today i could even fax a copy to them . yea pm me the number tanx il try get sum pics up

cant upload pics ??? 2wheels pm me ur email add and il send sum pics

cant upload pics !!!!!!!

try the FAQ area in the New Member section. You'll have to get a photobucket account (or something similar) and link to the images there. hope that helps. :)

sounds good 2 wheels im in kildare all the insurance want is the cert . they said today i could even fax a copy to them . yea pm me the number tanx il try get sum pics up

Pictures,,,,,,, open a photobucket account,,,,,, load your pics in there,,,,,,,, copy the "IMG" code,,,,,, then paste it into here.

I know Kildare well,,,,,, specially Killculan.

For a restriction kit,,,,,,, ring this lad,,,,, he answers to the nick name of "Chopper",,,,,,,, TEL: 086 8809098 ,,,,,,he will sort ya if he has one

Sorry didnt answer ya earlier,,, i was busy !

• 2 weeks later...

can u spray paint the four exhaust manifolds on the fazer ? or get them back newish looking ??

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online