1992 xj600 pre divvy project

mikeyp86
This post is 4322 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

for my first big bike i managed to pick up a xj600 for £200 it has only done 800 mile since 2004 and stood for the last 3 years, so obviously needs some work, all the electrics work, the tank had been disconnected to stop old fuel sitting in carbs and it has had a refurbished set put on it by previous owner, i have tried to get it to fire and it will turn over very well with the new battery but wont fire, how can i check if the fuel is getting to the engine. i have checked the spark plugs and that its sparking. cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi I took the tank off used a sml funnel bottle put a little petrol in that found that best on my xj 900f project.

Well the way I see it you are going to have to get familiar with your carburetor eventually so why not just give it a good cleaning. If you suspect its not getting fuel at kick over with the throttle closed its going to be an issue in the pilot jet. But if you have tried starting it in all different throttle positions even WOT I would suspect that the carburetor isnt getting fuel at all.

Remember you have three different "jets" on these mikuni carbs. Pilot jet controls fuel at closed throttle to 1/8th open. Then the Needle valve Tapers the fuel from the main jet until 3/4 throttle. And from there to WOT is all main jet. So if its not even farting at any of these throttle positions I would bet your problem lies elsewhere. If it is a fueling issue Check and make sure that your float is adjusted correctly and that the valve underneath the float isnt stuck closed.

Have you tried giving it a little ether to confirm its fuel? If it still doesnt kick over with ether check your ignition timing.