1975 dt175 stator woes

This post is 4337 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I lost spark on my DT over the weekend when I got to looking into it I saw that one of the wires going from the stator coil on the left side of the points had been rubbing on the magneto. I tried to gently push it out of harms way and the wire and insulation fell apart. It goes from that coil straight to the condenser. Can I simply pull a little more wire off the coil re-insulate it with heat shrink and re-solder it to the condenser?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi C&Y

Thats what I would try, you have nothing to loose, If you have the room and you can make the connection at the back of the stater plate having a slightly longer pig tail lead will allow you to wrap the lead once around the coil and re-instate the total amount of windings, but as you have found there ain't much room under the magneto rotor, in the mean time, Red rose retro bikes in the uk tell me that you can transfer the mag rotor/stator and l/h handle bar switch & cdi unit from a single shock MX to a DT twin shock allowing it to ditch the points, if my bike trashes its mag again this is what I might try, so if the fault is on your older bike and a visit to the breakers yard for a coil is needed you could keep your eye out for the makings of an MX ignition set up.

Quote from email to me from redrose:

''Hi, the ignition system fitted is from a DT175MX. The generator is direct replacement, but you also need the CDI unit, and either modify the wiring to suit, or fit a full MX loom (If you fit the full loom, you then need to change the ignition switch and left handlebar switch to MX as well). All the other electrical parts are compatable. Cheers, Redrose''

I have never looked in to it any further than this;

AJ

AJ i would probably kiss you right now if there wasnt this damn ocean between us. The yard I went to has at least a dozen of the MX style stator plates/ magnetos, but not a single DT set up. I could see that the retaining screws were in the same places but the holes on the mx models are slotted I assume this is for advancing or retarding timing? Can I use the timing instructions for the MX to time the DT if I have all the appropiate parts from the MX?

You will need to add wires to your loom, thers a black/white loop, from kill switch, to cdi box, ..Timing should be as MX manual,, :eusa_think:

i would probably kiss you right now if there wasnt this damn ocean between us.

That's the best offer I have had all year, I think Blackhat is correct with the timing, The data I have tells me that the timing for the later 175 models is 17.5 to 19.5 degrees from BTDC depending on the model and the timing for my model of bike is 1.8 mm BTDC, because of this I would use a timing protractor and a dti to ensure that 1,8 mm translated to 18 degrees +/- 1 degree, you are lucky to have two bikes to compare against, once the bike is fired up with the newer ignition set up you will have to monitor the way the engine runs to ensure that it don't get too hot,

I have 3 new sets of points/condensers for my twin shock so untill they become unobtainable and or the mag gets trashed and I ain't got the bottle or the dosh to have a go on my bike yet,

good luck it would be nice to see your posts on how it all goes if you do give it a go,

Drop an email to Redrose they are normally very helpful,

any 'classic' 2 stroke timing will work fine (IE one that is nice and retarded at start up to ensure the engine starts running in the right direction. Then advances slightly, retarding back to the start point at peak power). Guess who's been been doing lots of work on a range of 2 stroke cdi systems!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online