YZF R1 3 Cylinder total loss of compression

kennymetro12
This post is 4254 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Can anyone HELP!!

I have a 2008 Yamaha YZF R1 with 6K on the clock and it began a series of loud clicks at low revs on the right-hand side of the engine. After a while it began to misfire and also had a bogged down engine when cold. Now it has a total loss of compression on cylinder 3.

I now have the bike in a Yamaha dealers to have the prob investigated..... but my question is.... has anyone else with the same bike had a similar problem??

I did read on a post that a guy who was touring in India with an R1 had the same problem and Yamaha UK flew the parts out so the bike could be sorted.

Thanx

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Although I have no input on the loss of compression, I would suggest that you post an intro in the new members section to let the folks here know who you are.

Aye kenny , sounds like a bent valve,,, why " :eusa_think: ,,, musta dropped, that loud clicking ,,,, A D-stealership will cost a bit,,

Loud clicking from right hand side... sounds like your cam chain tensioners had it and may have resulted in a bent valve as the timings gone off =(

Thanks for your sound advise + input lads n lasses... me thinks this is gonna cost me a bundle of the green stuff that falls outta trees, as my horse is out of its warrenty sh***

If thers are any other unfortunate dudes out there, who have had a similar problem with a Yam R1, I would appreciate a post to let me know how wide spread the problem is.

Cheers Yambudzz

I know the cam chain tensioner is common across the r1 and r6 range, i had to replace one on my bike recently as it was on its way out.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Well my bike in dealership in Glasgow right now with the same peoblem...Loss of compression in a cyclinder...5800 miles on the clock....plugs and coils tested all ok...power commander disconnected engine stock ecu reconnected and bike tested ...still no better....I cant believe this has happened to my R1.....So next step is compression test on cylinders ....I am a novice at the tech side so dont know what the fix is ,,,,,does the piston have seals ??..I am sitting at a bill of £150 right now,,,,dealers are expensive but I want the bike sorted....

Thought you would be interested in knowing this.... cheers....

I am gonna request yamaha contribute towards the cost.....as a goodwill gesture .....if it is the seals ,,,

Anyone else had compression probs....

Btw I just joined this forum to answer your post...

Can anyone HELP!!

I have a 2008 Yamaha YZF R1 with 6K on the clock and it began a series of loud clicks at low revs on the right-hand side of the engine. After a while it began to misfire and also had a bogged down engine when cold. Now it has a total loss of compression on cylinder 3.

I now have the bike in a Yamaha dealers to have the prob investigated..... but my question is.... has anyone else with the same bike had a similar problem??

I did read on a post that a guy who was touring in India with an R1 had the same problem and Yamaha UK flew the parts out so the bike could be sorted.

Thanx

Kenny how did you get on with that compression problem.....I have just been told by my dealer that I am only gettin 6 bar in cyclinder 3.......and basically they dont have the time to strip it down and look at whats happening inside thats causing it......But they want £200 for diagnosing the problem...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online