XVS650 help and info

Star Lady
This post is 4472 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I'm a new owner of a DragStar 650 and so far loving it, I bought panniers fitted them and unfortunately they melted all over my shiny exhaust :( all sorted and shiny again but I don't want it to happen again, I had them on the tightest fastening I'm thinking of putting extra holes in the Center part so they lace up tighter?? Also I've been looking for some daisy cutter exhausts but some "don't fit classics" what's a classic?? Thanks peeps x

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I had exactly the same thing happen, the wife got me some new panniers from evilbay for christmas that stated they were leather, what a load of bull, they turned out to be vinyl coated plastic, not ideal over a hot exhaust, by the time I had been given them and sussed them out the evilbay seller had done a runner.

I assume that you have got pannier supports fitted to the bike?

You will be best doing what I had to do and punch some more holes to get the panniers a few inches above the exhaust pipe. I have also stuck on a layer of tin foil on the bottom of the exhaust side pannier and painted it black.

I am also assuming that as yours has melted they are also not leather, the problem I am finding is that vinyl will stretch and over time they are dropping back towards the exhaust, I have kept my old leather ones and may end up re-fitting them until I can find some decent quality ones.

Extra holes - Definitely.

Saddlebag supprt rails - Definitely.

Drags come in Classic and Custom versions.

Biggest difference on the Classics are the long sweeping metal mudguards. Other details: the forks have chunky shrouds over them so they look beefier, the front wheel is wider, the seat is fatter and more contoured, the bars are more M shaped and the battery/compartment covers are usually the same colour as the tank.

Custom version (the best) is less stylised, and slightly more minimalistic. The covers are chromed, the mudguards are shorter and made of plastic (as a result, the Custom is 20kg lighter) and a few more minor details.

The Classic:

XVS_650_A_Dragstar_Classic_98-05_1.jpg

The Custom:

19967_0_2_3_xvs%20650%20drag%20star_Image%20by%20Yamaha.%20Published%20with%20permission..jpg

Hope that helps.

I'm a 650 Drag nut, as are many here, so feel free to ask any questions!

Yeah I've taken the panniers to a guy who fixes up everyone's leathers and he's gonna replace the melted part :) I've also asked for more holes to be put in I'm hoping that will work. Where would I buy real leather panniers every set I look at are leather look :/

After looking at your pics mine is the custom one, thank you for that :)

Best place for decent saddlebags* is a good bike show or a great bike rally!

*Saddlebags = soft sling-overs. Panniers = hard fixed cases. IMO only, of course ;-)

custom cruisers uk is where I got mine, although they're vinyl. You can get leather ones but expect to pay anywhere between 200 to 500 quid for a pair.

Campman what type of tin foil have you used please? X

I just nabbed some from the kitchen, cut it to size, stuck it on using contact adhesive (UHU) then I painted it black using some black exhaust paint I had laying around, not sure if it will make a lot of difference, but it can't make it any worse.

You can get leather ones but expect to pay anywhere between 200 to 500 quid for a pair.

Ride to bike show/rally.

Find a set you like.

Try them out for size, there and then.

Expect to pay 50-150 for a decent set.

Also, watch for shops selling off old, unsold stock on the cheap. I've had brand new, top brand stuff for as little as 20% of original price.

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it x

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online