1978 Enduro 175 electrical issues

Coleton_jl
This post is 4483 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a yamaha 175 enduro DT built in 1978. It is a gem because it has been kept in a garage and runs great. The problem is with the electrical system. It has never worked properly when idle, everything goes dim. at higher RPM's everything works fine. The 'engine start' switch has no function either.

is this a typical problem because I have tried almost everything? What is going on?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Coleton_jl. You may have better luck here if you post an intro in the new members section so we know who we're talking to. :) when you say you've tried everything... what's everything? Before replacing my battery I had electrical issues (dim lights, etc.). May need a little more info. :)

Hi Coleton

The electrics on these bikes is not very strong, the twin-shock model I have is the same, if the battery is weak the indicators flash slowly and as the revs pick up they speed up. Most likely you need to charge, refresh or replace the battery if it still has one fitted, you will also probably find the headlight bulb will not light unless the engine is running, as for a start button a 1978 DT does not have an electric starter, However there is a run/stop cut out switch on the right hand switch cluster, it is used to cut the ignition,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online