DT 125 R Steering Lock - Problems

DT_mak
This post is 6776 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My first bike, dt 125 r, and I can't even get the steering lock to work.

I'm gonna contact the guy I got it off but first I thought I'd try here.

I turn the bars to the right and revealed is what i assume is the steering lock. I pull the slider back, put the key in, and its not turning. (It is the right key :) fits well )

I thought maybe i had to get a precise angle with the turning bars so I tried all positions and it still wont turn they key, is it me or the bike??

Anyone with any knowledge of how to help would be appreciated.

Thanks alot

Also any tried n tested good portable security devices for the bike? I've stripped alot of typical dt parts off the bike to make it look more like a crosser so theers no room for a box to carry with....cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Wouldnt worry about the steering luck mate they dont do shite, to be honest.

Get your self a proper lock and chain

Sounds as if the key is the wrong one or the lock is shagged.

Put the key in, turn and press and the lock should "sink" into the stem.

If you look very closely at the lock, doesn't it have a number stamped on it ? That should match the key.

And...........the strength of the lock is poor. Chain the bike to something heavy !

Sounds as if the key is the wrong one or the lock is shagged.

Put the key in, turn and press and the lock should "sink" into the stem.

If you look very closely at the lock, doesn't it have a number stamped on it ? That should match the key.

And...........the strength of the lock is poor. Chain the bike to something heavy !

unless you have a late model dt you should have a steering lock built into the ignition switch,try turning the bars either way,with the ignition off push the key in and try to turn anti clockwise,dont force the key if it wont turn then you have the later model,i have a 1989 dt and that has 2 steering locks and i dont have the key for the steering head lock and the key never matches the ignition key

• 5 months later...

It's fairly common to have a non working steering lock because the ignitiion gets changed but wiggling the handlebars as you're turning the lock is a favourite.

I had a u-lock that used to clamp on the rear rack when not in use and It was always there when I stopped. other that that a disc lock is fairly portable

• Admin

Noticed some posts the other day in regards to a post nearly a year ago! :lol:

I was pretty confused how to get mine to work on my 01 DT125, it says in the manual :

Put key in

Push it in and turn to the left

Slightly move handle bars

It should push in even further

Now bring it back straight and pull it out should ahve locked on, its kinda fiddly ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online