Shifting problems on a 1974 Yamaha TX500

Richard53
This post is 4492 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1974 Yamaha TX500. The problem in that if I shift into anything higher than second gear(when it’s warm), the shifter locks up and prevent me from going back into neutral or first. Sometimes the gearshift will let me stay in the higher gears, sometimes the lever locks and won’t move till the bike is cool. At that point I can put the bike on the center stand, rotate the rear tire and go through all five of the gears just fine. I’ve changed the oil, replaced the clutch cable and adjusted the two clutch adjustment points multiple times. I've pulled off the left case cover exposing the clutch "screw" mechanism. 1st question. Is there suppose to be a steel ball in the screw mechanism? I know that there's suppose to be one at the end of the long clutch shaft (I don't know if there is) according to the manual. 2nd question. There's two positions for the installation of the screw mechanism. Almost touching the filter or the next step up, a little farther away? I don't know if someone was in there ahead of me and mis-assembled it. Last question. Do you think it's warped disks? When cool and when the clutch is pulled in, the bike has resistance to rolling. I want to make sure I don't fix a problem that isn't there. Thanks for any help.

Richard

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online