XVS 400 vs XVS 650?

joachimgjensen
This post is 4340 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, and new to bikes in general. I was wondering if anyone could take a min to help me out with choosing between the XVS400 and the XVS650.

I'm looking at fitting a bobber kit to it as well. I'm a car mechanic, so fitments and all are not a concern.

From what I've gathered so far, the XVS400 is uncommon. Will this be a problem when it comes to aftermarket parts? Or are the 400 and 650 pretty similar?

My main concerns are comfort and power. Which rides better in high speeds (highways)? ... Windy country roads? And also, which is quicker? 0-100 times roughly?

I've tried to do my research, which has lead me to these two bikes, but I'm having difficulties choosing between the two. Also note that I'm a learner that is limited to max 650cc.

Hope to hear your opinions! Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well i guess this is an introduction (just now in the new people section) so i will chip in.

The dragstar are not the "best" bike in the corners, im for ever either touching down the foot pegs or my ankle on most twisty roads. 0-100 times................well your still be timing it next decade as they don't really get to 100mph.

As for Bobber parts, there are tons of aftermarket parts for the 650 you just have to look in the right places but remember what a bobber is.............a stripped down motorcycle that has every piece of useless shit taken off, just have enough stuff on it to pass the MOT and thats all you need. Also you may find your self making your own stuff from sheet metal or what not if you want that one off look and not the look of a bike that ridden through the high way hawk catalog.

From what I can see the 400 is the same size bike as the 650 but with the smaller engine, although it develops similar power the maximum torque is at 6000 rpm where the 650's is at 3,000 rpm, so I would imagine you would have to be working the engine harder to achieve similar performance to the 650.

Personally I would go for the 650, but then that's what I have...

Thanks for your input guys! Haha I meant 100kph, I should have emphasized that. If the 400 and 650 are more or less the same, I will just go for the best deal I get I guess. I want to strip it down to be a bobber, but not fussed if it's a common mod or not. It's a temporary bike until I go for something bigger when I get the chance.

But thanks again for your input.

If any more opinions or info out there, please do share!!

0-60mph in 7 seconds (faster if you use clutchless shifting ;-) ) is the quoted time for a stock standard 650.

Both bikes use many similar components, but with all the comparisons, I'd say the 650 wins on all counts.

Just be sure to get a Custom and not the Classic as the latter has about 30kgs of extra metal styling weighing it down. Not what you want for a Bobber.

If your after hints / tips/ ideas for a bobber check out my bobber project.......................just click the link in my sig, there is also Auzz's 650 bobber in the gallery, Paul Whites Bobber (125cc) in the projects section and Berties purchase in the gallery section which has now been bobbered.

0-60mph in 7 seconds (faster if you use clutchless shifting ;-) ) is the quoted time for a stock standard 650.

Both bikes use many similar components, but with all the comparisons, I'd say the 650 wins on all counts.

Just be sure to get a Custom and not the Classic as the latter has about 30kgs of extra metal styling weighing it down. Not what you want for a Bobber.

Awesome thanks mate, just the kind of info I need!

If your after hints / tips/ ideas for a bobber check out my bobber project.......................just click the link in my sig, there is also Auzz's 650 bobber in the gallery, Paul Whites Bobber (125cc) in the projects section and Berties purchase in the gallery section which has now been bobbered.

Ah nice, thanks for that. I could use some guidance to see what I'd want!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online