1993 Yamaha DT50 Suspension Lift

This post is 4473 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys Im 17 and I just bought my first (street legal) BIKE! Its the only thing that would be insurable with my income :P Im aware that it is slow and thats nbd to me but im wondering if there is anything i can do to refurbish the front and back suspension. If im riding and i hit a bump it has like 1 inch of travel -_- haha. Is there another bike I can take the front suspension off of? As for the rear, is there any site you guys know of that is selling a new spring? :) Let me know if this is already posted ext or link me. Please help! :P

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

welcome to the forum RoaringMuffin, please post an intro thread in the newbies section, it's only polite we know a bit about you and your bike ;)

my '89 DT was comfortable to ride, my only suggestion is that you strip your front forks down and treat them to a new set of seals and oil, the whole process will probably cost you the $ equivelant of £20 and will be well worth it, as for the rear shock they should still be available from your yamaha dealer or an online supplier

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am new to the site .. First let all the air out of the forks someone may have pumped them right full. NOW OOPs I thought about this backwards so go to STEP 1 .........sounds to me like sombody over filled the forks with oil or air or shortened the bike

STEP 2 After checking the oil level( drain out the old into a measuring cup this can be done by removing the forks and turning them upside down,& removeing the air valve core(they come out just like the ones in a tire) this wont get 100% but will get 98% and save you the trouble of dissambeling the fork ) in each fork, check the specks on how much there should be, sounds to me like sombody over filled the forks with oil or air.

A way of getting new oil back in( if the seals aren't leaking then again your dissambeling the fork) is to get a realy tight fitting hose to the air valve (Core Out) and to a funnel big enough to hold the right amount of oil and slowly pour it back in it will take a while for the air to bubble out and let the oil in so be realy paicent and make sure you get the right amout in. If you spill some dump it out and start over it will be less than 1 lt of oil for both forks(likely less than .5 lt) sorry I dont have the specs but your local dealer will know.

STEP 1 check the length of the fork it should be @ 30.5 inches. The bike may have been lowered by shortening the spring to fit a shorter rider. If it's not 30.5 inches from the top to the bottom of the fork then the bike for sure hase been lowered. If this is the case then you will be disassembling the fork to put in new /used springs.

The rear of the bike should be @30 inches from the floor to the bottom of the frame measured with the bike upright in front of the rear turn signal .I know of no way to lower the rear short of putting in another shorter shock

I'm looking for some information reguarding the voltage regulator. And you could realy help me. I am rebuilding one that someone has striped all the lighting wire harness off. What I need to know is what colouer wire goes where. The voltage reg is the fined box under the gas tank in front of the coil .

The way I look at is standing on the right side of the bike there are 4 wires going into it, 2 to the top and 2 to the bottom of the plug. 1 black 1 red 1 white 1 yellow with red stripe could you tell me? Where does the wires go in ie: red top, bottom Or where ever it is, closes to the frame or gas tank?,black bottom or where ever it is,tank side or frame side, white again top bottom tank or frame the yellow will be the only spot left. Please help me with this this is the last thing I need to get this bike running and on the road for my son.

Thanks Phil

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online