CS5 armature removal

flyday58
This post is 4341 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The CS5 arrived from North Dakota yesterday and I'm already tinkering. The charge light won't extinguish and the starter won't turn the engine over. Removed the stator and found the brushes near the limit, so trying to find some to replace those. Also trying to remove the armature from the crankshaft. I don't have the "puller bolt" the manual specifies, and the bolts I have seem too short. Has anyone removed one of these? It seems that whatever bolt you use will actually be a "pusher", bottoming on the inside of the crank where the flyweight bolt threads in and pushing the armature off the tapered shaft. Is this correct, anyone? Do I just need a longer bolt?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

just fill in some blanks

is there a thread on the inside of the armature then flyday?

can you determine what thread that is then?, often these things tend to be some kind of metric fine thread

yes, identify the thread diameter and pitch, use something to 'Dip' the depth to the crank...add a bit and boy that one

note

i see from the picture in the manual that it looks like the end of the bolt has a smaller diameter than the threaded part...?

if you cant buy one long enough there may be other options ;)

yes of course

having had a quick google, get the longest bolt possible and slide hammer it free :thumb:

http://www.google.co...29,r:1,s:0,i:71

comes with a word of caution,

when using this method, take precautions to not let the armature hit the deck when it comes free

although the yamahaenduro website isnt available...google showed this much

"I had to make an armature puller. The threads ... So I turned it into a slide hammer. ... 173- 81153-10-00 is supposed to be for the AT1/AT2, CS5 and the CS3."

I think the guy was saying that using the bolt was massing the threads up, so he used it as a slide hammer

Thanks, all. Purchased an M10 x 1.5 long bolt to use as a 'pusher', but also have a slide hammer on the way. Turns out the armature is bodged to hell, so now the quest begins for the correct unit. Part number-wise, it appears that only the CS5, CS3 and YSC1 armatures will work, and OC they are thin on the ground. Need a Hitachi unit. Found one in Thailand that LOOKS correct but diff #. 74 RD200 says it uses the same 'dynamo' so the arm is the same maybe??? One of those is also available. Anyone know fersher if other models will work?

At hospital for the week with an ailing spouse so fun time is on hold.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a line on a wrecking yard or shop that may have the armature for a CS5? I need the Hitachi unit, also came on the YCS1 and some CS3's.

Anyone have a line on a wrecking yard or shop that may have the armature for a CS5? I need the Hitachi unit, also came on the YCS1 and some CS3's.

I'm going to a motorcycle boneyard tomorrow if you can post an exploded parts diagram with what you are after highlighted I can see if i can find one.

Edit: is it on here somewhere? http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-cs5-1972_model8398/armature_1738115510/

I'm going to a motorcycle boneyard tomorrow if you can post an exploded parts diagram with what you are after highlighted I can see if i can find one.

Edit: is it on here somewhere? http://www.cmsnl.com...ure_1738115510/

Yessir! Item #1 is the very part I need. Wished I lived in SLUT, there are several major yards out your way. The website link you used claims to have this armature for 410.00 euro, but I can't justify that type of money. PLEASE let me know if you have any luck.

" ... 173- 81153-10-00 is supposed to be for the AT1/AT2, CS5 and the CS3."

OGOAB, where did you find this quote? There are plenty of AT1 armatures available, but all my cross-referencing says they are not compatible, just the CS3/CS5/YCS1. If only... :eusa_pray:

OGOAB, where did you find this quote? There are plenty of AT1 armatures available, but all my cross-referencing says they are not compatible, just the CS3/CS5/YCS1. If only... :eusa_pray:

Found it by google Richard, cant access the yamahaenduro.com website to investigate further though

can you see it here?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=3&oq=&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enGB401GB402&q=%22173-+81153-10-00+is+supposed+to+be+for+the+at1%2fat2%2c+cs5+and+the+cs3%22&gs_upl=0l0l1l16250lllllllllll0&aqi=s656

Yeah 410 euro is nuts. I would be willing to bet anything this yard has one or three dozen of these. It was insane, More yamaha parts than than you could possibly imagine. And I walked away with a seat, tachometer cable, ign switch w/key, sprocket cover, and clutch for $105 USD.

I went first thing this morning before your reply. So i wasn't able to look today for ya, but if the yard is open I'm going back tomorrow for a wheel.

Do you have parts number by chance? Is the number clearly marked on the armature somewhere? Alot of the parts from the bikes are pulled and stored on shelves in sheds. So I would need some way of identifying it from the rest. Hitachi is a start, but he doesnt label any of the parts as they come off the bikes they are just stored with like parts from the same manufacturer. Its hard to tell from the drawing but this is essentially just the generator coil correct?

Yeah 410 euro is nuts. I would be willing to bet anything this yard has one or three dozen of these. It was insane, More yamaha parts than than you could possibly imagine. And I walked away with a seat, tachometer cable, ign switch w/key, sprocket cover, and clutch for $105 USD.

I went first thing this morning before your reply. So i wasn't able to look today for ya, but if the yard is open I'm going back tomorrow for a wheel.

Do you have parts number by chance? Is the number clearly marked on the armature somewhere? Alot of the parts from the bikes are pulled and stored on shelves in sheds. So I would need some way of identifying it from the rest. Hitachi is a start, but he doesnt label any of the parts as they come off the bikes they are just stored with like parts from the same manufacturer. Its hard to tell from the drawing but this is essentially just the generator coil correct?

All correct. The Hitachi part # is 173-81115-10-00. The Mitsu is 173-81115-20-00 and won't work. My old one had some numbers stamped into the metal between the copper windings but got obliterated when I removed the thing. I found out that the big diff with these units is the crank they're bolted to. I bought a '75 RD200 arm cos it looked the same and the "dynamo" model was the same. It won't go on the shaft. :crying: So it HAS to be a Hitachi from a '68 YCS1, a '71 CS3 or '72 CS5, they all use the same diameter crank mounting shaft.

If you have any luck, PM me. Thanks for taking the time to help, I owe you a :beerchug: !

Yeah i may have to pull one off a bike in the yard. I looked through the crates and crates of magneto/stator parts. And did not see any coils like the one from the drawing. Ill be back there this weekend, and ill try to find a crate of armature parts.

Yeah i may have to pull one off a bike in the yard. I looked through the crates and crates of magneto/stator parts. And did not see any coils like the one from the drawing. Ill be back there this weekend, and ill try to find a crate of armature parts.

Muchos thankos por la helpa extrasiosa. What's the name of the yard, btw?

Muchos thankos por la helpa extrasiosa. What's the name of the yard, btw?

We have two really good yards here. The one i have been to is called bills boneyard, the other is larger and more organized but I havent been yet, and its called grim motorcycle salvage. Another avenue worth pursuing is getting a quote on having it rebuilt by an alternator/generator shop.

We have two really good yards here. The one i have been to is called bills boneyard, the other is larger and more organized but I havent been yet, and its called grim motorcycle salvage. Another avenue worth pursuing is getting a quote on having it rebuilt by an alternator/generator shop.

Had to use my precision steel serrated-edge removal tool - hack saw - to get it off. Boss was frozen on the crank and didn't want to risk mushrooming the end. Bought a slide hammer but it just wouldn't budge so now it's bodged instead.

Got a few items thru fleabay from Grimm but they didn't answer queries about my arm needs.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online