New owner, sleepless nights

This post is 4493 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone.

Tavish here from Bombay, India. I have about 9 years of riding and a few years of fixing, tuning, restoring motorcycles behind me. I came to London to do my MSc in Motorcycle Engineering to continue on my chosen career path so it goes without saying I explored all the new bikes and roads and general motorcycling in the country and I do absolutely love it. Maybe not so keen on the grip of the law (am used to a bit of harmless anarchy) but overall a great motorcycling nation I think.

Had an international license for a year so got around on a cheap GPZ500S during my student days. Once it expired I bought a '99 ZX6R and went through the intense process of getting a UK license.. however I failed the module 2 soon after which my loan repayment started so to make a long story short I could not afford the insurance of a 'new' rider on a 600. So I sold the lovely ZX and bought a 2003 DT125 R, stuck some L plates on it and got riding and I really like it. Could not have picked a better 125. tall, revvy and quick. I wish the brakes would bite a bit more but will sort it out sometime.

Now, while I am good at working on bikes I cannot get my head around the level of stress involved in riding a motorcycle in London. All the gear is just a starter - its the crime I cannot comprehend! All these damned chains and alarms and locks you have to go around with. Suffocating. I realize I have bought one of the thieves' favourites and I live in an estate-ish area so I am definitely running high risk.

I have a heavy chain and an alarmed disc lock.. but here is my question-

WHERE DO YOU PUT THE CHAIN THROUGH SO YOU SECURE THE FRAME AND NOT JUST A WHEEL?

There is no easy way for the massive 22mm ( approx) chain I have and I was hoping one of you have figured a way out? Its going to be chained to a lamp post. I also have a more conventional mammoth security chain but I dont think it will stand a good grinders wrath. Any security suggestions are welcome for chaining a DT in a not-so-safe area.

Also, where in the UK can I take it off the road if I ever get the chance?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

The location for a chain when locking a bike up can be different each time you lock it depending on where you are parking, the main points people often quote is to try to ensure that the chain is off the ground so that the floor cannot be used to allow one handle of a bolt cutter to be on the floor secured in place by foot allowing a two handed pull down on the other, also I would try to pick a well lit place where people will see what is going on and where a lot of attention would be attracted if the bike was being man handled,

as to riding off road, check out local green lane clubs they often have knowlege where the best off road rupps and local tracks.

Hi Tavish and welcome,

I have two disc locks one for each wheel and three chain and locks. I put a chian each around the wheels and the other around the monoshock. I also have an alarm. Some people think I am being over the top but if anything it deters them or slows them down. The main thing to remember is to always make sure your machine is chained to an object such as a lampost or metal fence/railing.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online