CBT Coming to an end, Fancy taking my 'big' bike test...

Keiran95
This post is 4464 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all, my CBT comes to an end in roughly 8months and i am just wondering what i am able to do as i will be 18 in january, what test can i do that will make me elligible to ride a bigger bike, whats the 'biggest' bike i would be able to ride and what tests would i have to do?

oh yeah and how much will it cost?

sorry to be a pain in the arse but i have heard so many different things about these tests, some people say you pay 600 pound then do the test and away you go on whatever bike, some other people have said you go up in stages, please help!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello all, my CBT comes to an end in roughly 4-5months and i am just wondering what i am able to do as i will be 18 in january, what test can i do that will make me elligible to ride a bigger bike, whats the 'biggest' bike i would be able to ride and what tests would i have to do?

oh yeah and how much will it cost?

sorry to be a pain in the arse but i have heard so many different things about these tests, some people say you pay 600 pound then do the test and away you go on whatever bike, some other people have said you go up in stages, please help!

Best advice I can offer is pop into a training school near you, the test appears to be changing on a monthly basis at the moment, I'm not sure what it consists of now, but I do believe that the swerve manouvre has now been dropped from it.

Thanks for the reply, whats the swerve manuovre?

You had to swoop around the cone curved section, accelerate out of it to hit a minimum speed of 32mph (I think, cant remember now), then through the speed trap whilst swerving off line and through 2 cones set in line, pulling up between 2 more cones in a controlled stop.

Over 400 accidents in 2 years at the test centres carrying out this manouvre (again, I think thats the right figure)

You had to swoop around the cone curved section, accelerate out of it to hit a minimum speed of 32mph (I think, cant remember now), then through the speed trap whilst swerving off line and through 2 cones set in line, pulling up between 2 more cones in a controlled stop.

Over 400 accidents in 2 years at the test centres carrying out this manouvre (again, I think thats the right figure)

well i'm glad to hear that thats been dropped now lol

That's the right description, so much easier than it sounds though :) Imagine swerving round the other side of a traffic island then stopping smoothly - its about that hard. I really am surprised that there were 400 accidents, since its much easier than a real-life swerve!

Is it really dropped though? I had a friend asking me for advice about it the other day, saying he was going to practice it in his lesson that afternoon...

Neversaydie's right though, you anly have to ask at the training centre and they'll tell you.

I know you can't do direct access until 21, so I'm guessing you can do the A1 test and ride a maximum output of 33bhp, but as said check out with local instructor etc

I think people kept binning it on the swerve test because they used the front brake during the 'swerve' bit..

@Keiran, id recomend reading the page on the direct.gov site. Its boring but you will know where you stand, get it done before 2013 because its all changing again.

Keiran - do your test on a 125 before 19th January next year and you'll be restricted to 33bhp for 2 years, then you'll have an unrestricted licence after that with no further test. Do your test after January and you're stuck on a 125 for 2 years, then you have to take a 'middleweight' test to ride up to 47 bhp for a further two years, after which you can take an unrestricted test. So, one test with 2 years at 33bhp then unrestricted or 3 tests over 6 years - bit of a no-brainer really!

• 2 weeks later...

Id book it now for your birthday if i were you. It cost me about £300 ( 5 years a go now) to do 2 days training and then the test on my 125. Then youre restricted to 33bhp for 2 years but i just kept the dt and after the 2 years what ever you fancy =)

• 2 weeks later...