1973 Yamaha CT3 timing is off by 90 degrees

Droz88
This post is 4495 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The engine has spark, fuel, and compression. The timing is off by 90 degrees and I have no idea how to fix this problem. There doesn't look like there's any way to adjust it and these are all factory components...I must be missing something. Any help? Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Droz

I think your bike is probably similar to mine and my bikes ignition timing cannot be adjusted, the magneto back plate is fixed and the points are fixed to that,

So on my bike if the timing was 90 deg out when the piston at the correct position BTDC and the mark on the magneto rotor does not line up and points are not open, If was the case I would look to see if woodruff key snapped on the crank shaft taper and check to see if the points cam can rotate around the magnito stub, if so has the advance spring failed,

I don't know the correct set up on your bike so I hope this is of some help,

Has the bike ever run in your ownership? Or was it running fine then suddenly stopped working? This is a critical question as if you have never seen it run then you could be dealing with a previous owner's bodgery. If it was fine then suddenly stopped working, and you are certain it has gone 90deg out, then a slipped flywheel and broken woodruff key look likely candidates as nayruf says.

check to see if the points cam can rotate around the magnito stub, if so has the advance spring failed,

Does the CT3 have an advance/retard on the points/timing???

Only ask as i thought they didn't and I'm about to check my timing.

(And mine just passed it's MOT for the first time today :hyper: )

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online