Total Electric Death SRX400

SRXy
This post is 7000 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After finally getting the carb sorted out on my SRX 400 (1992), i took it for a ride last night and the clutch started playing up. I would get stuck in neutral after I had stopped the bike. That's a recurring issue I'm having that I just can't seem to sort out....If I fiddle with the clutch screw (on the handle bar) I manage to get it to work....that's another story though.

Anyway after getting the clutch to work, I decide to fire her up, nothing happens...after I do that the starter motor keep turning over, but in a slow sick way, chug chug....I pressed the kill switch and the starter motor continues it slow turning over!!!!! NOW I STRESS (I used to own a Renault R10 which nearly went up in flames after doing a similar thing!!!

I turned off the bike with the key, got off the bike, take of the seat and go to grab my tool set by the back light and someone has nicked it!!!! bloody bike shop that did my carbs has kindly lifted my tool set....anyway I was about 1/3 mile from home so I start running back to fetch some tools. When I get back my bike (thank god) is still there and not a roaring inferno.

Anyway took off the battery and called some mates to give me a hand. The battery was BLOODY hot.....we put it back in and nothing, checked the battery and it was totally dead (about 0.5 volts!!!) I wheeled it back home and got it to fire up from a running start and it ran fine. I charged the battery last night and she started up fine this morning, no hassles...idling like she was brand-new....

Any ideas..I'm taking it to an autoelectrician 'cos I'm nervous now about gettting my ass burned off from a short...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like an Over-Charging problem :huh:

Maybe check the Regulator?.....also keep an eye on your battery......make sure those cells are full of distilled water or acid, when/if you put it on the charger again ;)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks....I've run through a lot of the wiring and had a mechanic mate of mine bass through the rest ands run a few tests. no luck!!! My old mans a spark-head so I had a few words with him and he reckons could have been a dead short within the battery.....maybe it's best if I go grab myself a new one

he reckons could have been a dead short within the battery.....maybe it's best if I go grab myself a new one

With Electrical woes.....sometimes that's the best way to continue with the process of elimination ;)

Best of Luck with it. :)

With Electrical woes.....sometimes that's the best way to continue with the process of elimination ;)

Best of Luck with it. :)

Thanks....Well it's back at my place today and it seems ok, took it for a quick spin around the block and did'nt have much of a problem.....I'll take it for a ride tonight and see what happens. Hold thumbs!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online