My DT125R Project/Restoration

AndyDtr08
This post is 4234 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Interesting read there Andy, looks a lot of fun as well.

This has tempted me to buy and restore a dt now lol from the bikes you have what seems to be the most common thing to mess up? From experience i know the engines are really easy to work on but is there anything stupid that seems to cost a fortune to replace/repair?

Like my r6, an oem cam chain tensioner, £90 wtf..

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for it Ryan, I may well be able to provide you with bits as you go along. I bought a silly amount like the pallet of parts from scotland. Finding a frame with a logbook is the major one as they are stolen so much. If you can find one with numbers there is a process to follow to get the V5. You need the reg. To get the reg you need to do a full hpi check. Only one bloke online seems to be able/willing to do one. He charges £23 but it's well worth the money if it comes back clear. I've just receieved a log book for the blue frame that i think is photod somewhere in this thread. It cost me 110 for the frame 23 for the hpi and 25 for the V5 through the DVLA totalling (168) which was with the frame being quite cheap.

I think I worked out it being a minium of 1000 to build one using ebay. Could easily go up to 1500 though. I've been finding its things like brake caliper overhaul is 30 each end. Fork seals are 20 quid. Below is a little list ive been using to keep an eye on my spend. They are prices that I paid so don't take them as gospel. I generally dont pay full price for anything so I'll have haggled alot of those prices down on things. These are parts i bought for my 'ground up' build I planned before this 1998 complete bike came along. I'll be doing that one once this one is complete and sold on.

Frame 100

V5 25

HPI 23

Number plate holder 15

Headlight and plastic 15

Exhaust 30

Indicators 40

Battery 20

Wiring loom 15

Rebore with piston kit 130

powervalve kit 50

Carb 20

Forks 40

Fork seals 15

Bars 10

Plastics 175

Wheels with discs and sprocket 50

Swing arm 25

Shock 20

Linkage 20

Tank 20

Mirrors 15

CDI 30

Bottom end 50

Rad 10

oil tank 10

coolant tank 10

tyres (pair) 70

tubes (pair) 15

switch gears 20

Front brake 40

back brake 40

clutch lever and perch 15

DEP silencer 30

airbox and battery tray 30

clocks 30

TOTAL £1273

Some of those I paid less for in job lot but have put an estimate of what they go for on ebay. Again theres still more, i dont think caliper re build is included in that. You can just go the seals route of less than a tenner each end but i needed new pistons.

Hope thats of use and hasnt put you off! You're better off buying a knackerd "offroad only" bike and using the parts to build around a frame with numbers/logbook. I only am doing it this way because of the job lot of parts. Anything I don't use i'll sell on ebay.

Ahh shit thats a bit more than i planned =/ I was planning on buying a complete bike thats listed as a non runner for a few hundred (less than 400 ideally) then completely strip it, paint it and re build it with a hope to try and make a bit of a profit to fund another project or use it as a little town bike or something as the r6 is a pain in the arse for slow riding but by the sounds of things it might cost more than its worth? :eusa_think:

Iv seen some sports bikes go cheap on ebay listed as non runners but id ideally prefer a 2T as theres so much less to go wrong with them. Last thing i want is a non runner because its spun a main bearing or a valve has gone through a piston etc.

Il keep an eye on the market though as by the looks of things a lot of things can be salvaged, painted and made to look like new again.

How much would you think a restored bike would be worth? Say 15k on the clocks like new? £1500 sound reasonable?

Thanks for taking the time to put that list up though, it looks a good guidline to follow. :thumb:

lol this is just the stuff I wrote down, stainless bolts/fixings, spray and some other second hand stuff I didn't even put down, it can be a fair bit expensive but you get back out only what ya put into it. oh aye the initial cost of the bike was £650.

FRAME POWDER COATED £80.00

SWINGARM POWDER COATED £30.00

NEW YAMAHA DT125R 2.0mm TZR PISTON & RINGS £46.00

YAMAHA DT125R TOP END GASKET SET DAMERELLS £22.00

NEW YAMAHA DT125R PISTON SMALL END BEARING £9.94

YAMAHA DT125R FRONT SPROCKET LOCK TAB £3.11

SWING ARM REPAIR KIT ( FULL SET BUSHES & BEARINGS ETC) £80.63

YAMAHA DT 125 R REAR MONOSHOCK £60.00

YAMAHA DT 125R SEAT £23.00

YAMAHA 125 DTR BLACK SEAT COVER £19.00

HANDLEBAR FAT BAR CONVERSION KIT £28.98

RENTHAL TWINWALL MOTOCROSS HANDLEBARS 997 BLACK £83.98

HANDLEBAR GRIPS (BLACK/GREEN) £10.15

NEW ACERBIS LED REAR STOP TAIL LAMP PLATE HOLDER ENDURO £32.99

YAMAHA DT125R DT 125 FLASHER CAN WINKER RELAY UNIT £9.95

YAMAHA DT125R IGNITION SWITCH £23.44

INSTRUMENT CLOCK RUBBERS DAMERELLS £29.50

ACERBIS SUPERMOTO FRONT MUDGUARD BLACK £28.49

YAMAHA 125 DTR FRONT RADIATOR PANELS BLACK £44.80

YAMAHA DT125R REAR STANDARD MUDGUARD FENDER BLACK £29.95

YAMAHA DTR 125 REAR SIDE PANELS BLACK £54.19

YAMAHA DTR 125 LOUVRED BLACK PLASTIC RADIATOR GUARDS £15.00

YAMAHA DTR 125 BLACK TANK PANEL DECALS £29.00

BLACK POLISPORT HALOGEN DUAL HEADLIGHT FOR125 DTR £39.45

YAMAHA DT125R STANDARD HEADLIGHT COWLING WHITE £13.00

YAMAHA DT125R REAR BRAKE CALIPER PISTON & SEAL KIT DAMERELLS £22.35

YAMAHA DT125R FRONT BRAKE CALIPER PISTON & SEAL KIT DAMERELLS £25.00

EBC REAR BRAKE PADS STANDARD FA101 DT125R DT125R £16.31

EBC FRONT BRAKE PADS STANDARD FA101 DT125R DT125R FRONT £16.31

2 X EXHAUST HEAT SHIELD SELF ADHESIVE 500X500MM ALUMINIUM £30.00

SWINGARM BOTTOM REAR CHAIN GUIDE WHITE NYLON £13.00

SWINGARM FRONT PIVOT CHAIN GUIDE WHITE NYLON £40.00

2 X ROUND CHAIN GUIDE ROLLER (BUSH) WHITE NYLON DAMERELLS £18.00

YAMAHA DT125R EXHAUST TAILPIPE CONNECTOR RUBBER £6.64

2.5mm OVERSIZE REBORE, HEAD SKIM, GAS FLOWED AND PORTED, HELICOILED BARREL FOR EXHAUST STUDS (CORNISH MOTORCYCLES PLYMOUTH) £125.00

NEW BATTERY £15.00

BRAIDED HEL FRONT AND REAR BRAIDED BRAKE HOSES £60.00

POWER VALVE SERVO, PULLEYS,BUSH, CABLES AND CABLE COVERS (BOTH SIDES) £100.00

TDR ITALIA WHEELS, BREMBO CALIPERS, BREMBO MASTER CYLINDERS, TDR 125 ITALIA PAOILI FORKS £260.00

LOCKING PETROL CAP £25.00

total £1,619.16

Yeah but Nev your bike is a bit better than original, very nice example.

How much would you value it at after all the work? I know you wouldnt want to sell it, just hyperthetically speaking.

See yours seems a lot but you upgraded a lot nev and created something original and different. To get a bike looking mint and standard and to make a profit you can do it a lot less. I've seen a good Dt go on eBay for 1655, then I saw a mint original one go for 2350 the other day, I can find link if needed.

Average ones seem to go for between 1 and 1.5.

One of my lads mates made an offer on it couple of months ago, now whether he was spouting it out of his 'arris I don't know, but he asked if £2850 would buy it, he ended up buying a new cbr 125 instead.and another lad chucked an offer of £2500 before that. And no Ryan, you're right mate, I wouldn't sell it, same as I won't sell my XT600, or the XT125 when I get round to doing it up. I can kick myself with the cars I've had and sold in the past, now seeing how much they're worth, I'm not saying the bikes would be worth as much in 20 or so years, but a damn sight easier to store away.

Andy, not got the Ebay advert but will try and find it, a powdercoated DT frame, and I mean just the frame nothing else, was on Ebay for buy now £500, now we all know it isn't worth £500, but thats how daft DT stuff is getting these days.

I would value your bike around the 3k mark if I'm honest.

Believe me I've seen that frame. I check eBay on a regular basis for dt125 parts using various search criteria and sorting by newly listed. It's sad but there's not much on eBay I don't see come up. I think he said a garage advised him to sell for no less. I've emailed people who ended their listings early for the 250 mark for a Frsme with logbook.

I paid 250 for my 98 complete bike on eBay so got a bargain there.

Below is a litte running total of this build:

DT125R 1998

Bike -250

3MB Cylinder Head - 20

2x rad scoop 2x panel, front mudguard, rear mudguard, sticker set, seat cover - 175

Front Caliper piston and seals- 25

Rear Caliper piston and seals - 34

Headlight plastic and light - 15

DEP silencer - 30

Standard 3MB pipe - 30

Gen Yam top end Gaskets - 25

Rebore, piston kit - 130

Fork seals - 7.50

Battery - 20

TOTAL £761.50

pretty close now and want at least 1500 once the bike is done.

Thats made me feel a bit better, i was hoping youd say Nevs bike would be around the 3k mark otherwise i wouldnt bother. Im not completely in this for the money by the way, i just really enjoy tinkering with bikes and see it as a good way to get a cheap run around and i do miss my old dt (even if i did sell it a good 4 years ago..).

I would be okay with spending say £1000 over time if i knew i could sell it on at some point for say £1500. I know iv said im not in it for the money but i dont want to end up with a money pit where i wont see any of the money again and a bit of a profit wouldnt go a miss of course. Iv learnt from my friends mistake with his Ducati, what a nightmare..

Thanks for the pointers by the way guys.

Also im sorry for hijacking your thread Andy lol

Some cracking 2nd hand prices there Andy, £20 for the 3mb head, and you sold your other one last year for £80 was it? lol

Id be more than happy spending that sort of price for a near on new bike. Im capable of sorting out plastics and making them look new depending how deep scratches are which could save a few quid but as Nev said, theres some good prices in there!

Haha, that was a 3BN head that went on ebay for 77.50. No one ever paid and i was dissapointed to say the least. They got a mark on their ebay account for non payment and that was that. I sold a 3BN the other day on ebay for 21 + 5 postage though.

That price was worked out as I paid 60 for an electric start engine on ebay. The barrel was wrecked but it had a 3MB head on it. I also bought another 3MB head with a powervalve and cables and housing for 30 posted so it's hard to work out. The parts from scotland came down at 200 delivered and i worked out conservative estimates of each part and it totalled something like 600. Thats why I'm skint now lol! I've bought loads but don't want to sell any until i know they're spare (ie not gonna be used on the next project).

Ryan, don't take my estimate as a given. Thats just what I'd value it at but heres a couple of complete listings on ebay to show you what they sell for. I'd aim for selling for 1500 and see any more as a bonus. Clocks seem to fetch a bit of money. Don't be scared of kph ones as a converter box is an option as im sure you know.

I know what you mean about not being in it for the money. I'm the same im doing it for a DT at the end but I can see how I can make good money from it over the course as they are never going to go down in price. They outride the bikes being made now in performance and look far better than the wr125s in my opinion.

I sold my RE in mint condition for 1900 and could easily have had more if id waited as its almost a year on now and saw an RE sell for 2400. That small time period shows the appreciation id say!

Id be more than happy spending that sort of price for a near on new bike. Im capable of sorting out plastics and making them look new depending how deep scratches are which could save a few quid but as Nev said, theres some good prices in there!

As far as plastics go I would go portugese but it's up to you. For the cost of paint, primer, paint wipes and the time i reckon you're better going new. Rad scoops and panels are less than 100 delivered. As i said earlier in the thread £175 got me 2x rad scoops 2x panels 1x rear muguard 1x front mudguard 1x sticker kit and 1 x seat cover.

Yeah i keep getting called Del Boy recently by a mate who has a DT when he hears the deals ive been getting on ebay. He who dares...wins!

Its amazing what you can get away with if you have patience. Im against painting plastics to be honest as it usually lifts. Have a look at this video, i tried it on an old front fender and it actually worked quite nicely:

If i can do it for free i will be lol

I also sold my dt re for £1900 4 years ago, its mad seeing how much they fetch at the moment on ebay!

My bike was also in kph back then and i had it from new, i never changed it, just got used to it.

Good video. The problem I find is the marks are stress marks which i would guess go all the way through the plastic. I might well try this at somepoint though. I found a good video on spraying plastics. It suggests using a similar method of heating and alochol wipe to remove the release agent used during manafacture to allow primer to stick. I've never had a problem though. Somewhere back in this thread is my headlight surround which sprayed up nicely using halford plastic prime and halfords paint matched rattle can paint. I used panel wipe to clean it down first. That was the only plastic i had to spray as the guy in portugal cant get the headlight surrounds and sells aftermarkets ( i guess they are more popular). None on ebay were in good enough condition to match the new ones, especially not in blue. My colour match didnt work perfectly but good enough.

But as i say that cost me £6 prime - £13 paint - £6 lacuer + time and any panel wipe i used. If he sold a new one it would be about 30 quid delivered. Ok so I didnt use full cans of the paint but even if i used 15 quids worth Id still rather pay 30 for a new plastic. I just wish he did the godamn tank stickers!

My RE was kph from holland, bought with 183km on the clock for 2095. It already had a converter box on so ran in miles from there. Which reminds me. I took the clocks apart from this 1998 last night. It was showing 28000 km so I set it back to 17300 and will fit a converter box on before i run it. It was a hassle getting it apart to be able to change the reading, but i suppose it should be!

If you get a hair dryer or heat gun on the faded stress parts of plastic it will eventually come out, takes a bit of percevering but does work.

To be honest clocks being in kph didnt bother me, I dont think its worth the extra hassle of getting it converted.

Looks like DTs hold their value well then, thats always good. Looks like you got a good buy with your one, if i cant find a dt i might try an rs125 as iv want to start racing and a 125 2T looks a good and cheaper way to start.