No Excuse!

Pete
This post is 6966 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Out for a ride on the Transalp today with the wife on the back.

We stopped in the dealers 30 miles away for a cup of coffee, and I got talking to the owner. They're the same people I bought the Transalp from.

So he said to me...."We've got a demo bike going...do you want a try?"

Well I'm not one to refuse something for nothing, so instead of using our petrol, we'd use his. So me and the wife jumped on and off we went.

First thing I noticed was comfort....absolutely amazing, most perfect seating, riding, and pillion setup I've ever experienced. Makes the TA feel like a wooden bench.

Secondly....smoothness. It made the TA feel like a tractor.

Brakes....fantastic...very smooth and progressive. Probably half the stopping distance of the TA.

Gearbox....absolutely perfect....possibly the slickest I'd ever used. Miles better than the TA.

Handling....excellent....far better than the TA or anything else that I can remember. The most perfectly balanced bike I've ever ridden.....feels at least 50lb lighter than the TA, and manoevring at walking pace two up on a bike I've never ridden before was unbelievably easy.

Performance...New engine with 80 miles on the clock. We're at 35mph in 6th, two up....and just open the throttle and off it goes. No hesitation or snatch whatsoever. Want to pass something? Just drop a cog and you're whipping along. By the time the TA got to 60, this thing would be doing 100.

It pulls strongly from about 3K revs with a further surge around 7K. But it's not a sports 600 power on/power off feeling when you get up in the revs. The power is exactly where you want it.....in the midrange, so it's easily useable rather than dropping cogs to get it.

We did about 20 miles and we loved it. The wife didn't want to get back on the TA after it, cos it was just so comfortable.

AFAIC it's the best allround bike for my needs that I have ever ridden.

We dropped the bike off at the dealers and rode home on the TA. It felt like absolute shit TBH. Comparing the demo bike to the TA is like comparing ice cream to horse shit.

I'm gobsmacked....I knew this bike had got rave reviews worldwide.....but until I rode one I just didn't realise how good it actually was. Cos if anything those reviews have actually understated it's capabilities.

Because it is an absolutely brilliant bike in every respect....every aspect of it was outstanding!

Don't ride one....cos unless you've got some seriously exotic piece of kit, then this thing is just going to piss all over it.

It's everything the reviews said it was....and then some!

Bottom line.....my brand new 05 plater will be on the road next week. I dealt with the owner personally, and he gave me a very good deal indeed.

Oh....and the bike in question?

I think you're probably ahead of me already....

The 650 V-Strom!

520_F65D5305.jpg

I've got no excuse for it, other than to say.....Believe the Hype!

This is an absolutely fantastic bike....if Suzuki ever got something right...then this is it!

I'll get my coat! :unsure:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Bottom line.....my brand new 05 plater will be on the road next week. I dealt with the owner personally, and he gave me a very good deal indeed.

So you traded in the TA? :blink: ....I knew it'd be only a matter of time ;)

A guy I work with, rides one just like that....everyday......He loves it! B)

Now you'll have the undanting task of finding a set of proper DS tires for it. :huh:

It's got Trailwings on it....but they're nothing like Trailwings I've seen before.

They're not squared knobbly things, they've got a much more rounded roadbased profile like a Tourance.

Have they revamped the Deathwings? Cos they look completely different.

nice one pete! B) i like them bikes alot, bit too much money in them for me still though. with a write up like that from you, i'm sure they're a cracking bike. how does the wife find the pillion seat?

nice one pete! B)  i like them bikes alot, bit too much money in them for me still though. with a write up like that from you, i'm sure they're a cracking bike. how does the wife find the pillion seat?

She loved it....in fact I was trying not to like the bike. But she was absolutely bowled over by it. I tried really hard to find a fault...but I couldn't. It really is THAT good. In every area.

Alan...find a dealer and get a demo. Seriously....do it. You can get 2-3 year old ones for not much more than you paid for the KLR.

As you know I've owned a lot of bikes. And ridden a lot of bikes. And it's been many, many years since I've been as impressed by a bike as much as I have been by the Strom.

• Admin

To be honest i dont think ive read a bad review about any of the suzukis after the release of the K4 GSXR, seems like in the last 3 years they've really been busy on the R&D. I came close to getting the GSXR, before i got my yam. It was purely the extras which came on my YZF that closed the deal as i had the intention of doing a lot of track days on it :unsure:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online