Dragstar XVS 650 Exhaust heat Shield?

BlackStar
This post is 4424 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I ride one if these snd have scorched my leathers and last Saturday my leg too (ouch!) on the exhaust pipe. This only happens when stationary and although I'm geting better at avioding this painful experience every now and again I forget at my peril!!!

I've seen something on the internet that looks like a sort of metal sleeve with holes in it that is fixed with jubilee clips. Was wondering if anyone has heard of these or used them. Don't really want to use exhaust bandanges or indeed end up using bandages on my leg either come to think of it!

Any advice please . . .

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi BlackStar, what exhaust do you have? Stock or aftermarket? I have a similar problem in that everytime I ride with my leather jeans on, the heatshield on the rear pipe gets smeared and I then have to clean it off with car shampoo and a toothbrush. I haven't been burnt though. And it doesn't happen when I'm not wearing leathers. Strange.

Hi BlackStar, what exhaust do you have? Stock or aftermarket? I have a similar problem in that everytime I ride with my leather jeans on, the heatshield on the rear pipe gets smeared and I then have to clean it off with car shampoo and a toothbrush. I haven't been burnt though. And it doesn't happen when I'm not wearing leathers. Strange.

After market pipes and it's the engine end of the top pipe that's causing the probs. Now have a nasty, but slowly healing, blister on the inside of my knee on right leg! This never happens when I'm not wearing leathers as I never ride without them, lol! But the heat if I don't realise quick enough can and has gone straight through!

I had the same problem and after burning through 4 sets of pants and a blister behind my knee the exhaust wrap went on and problem solved! Just remember to put it on wet or your be itching for days!

I've seen something on the internet that looks like a sort of metal sleeve with holes in it that is fixed with jubilee clips. Was wondering if anyone has heard of these or used them.

I'd buy one, certainly!

i take it this is the heat shield your talking about

its worked for me

DSCF1483.jpg

Looks like it . . . . .

Wondering if those exhaust bandages with one of these chrome shields on top would work well? It could double the chances of proctection and at least the chrome bit would conceal the 'ugliness' of the bandages?

Wondering if those exhaust bandages with one of these chrome shields on top would work well? It could double the chances of proctection and at least the chrome bit would conceal the 'ugliness' of the bandages?

its your bike to do what you want

be different why the hell not!

personally i dont like the bandage look but i seen chain mail sleeves the other day

doesn't help the heat problem but looked smart as hell lol

Use black exhaust wrap and make up some 6-12mm chainmail sleeves to sit over the top. Rings come in a few different cross-sections and a lot of different finishes - Chrome, rust, satin, antique, gold, silver and even lurid platinum tints.

By the end, you'll have forearms like Popeye and a grip that can crush a wrecking ball. But it'll be one hell of a project and you'll need months of patience - Trust me. I used to make maille for folks, once.

Use black exhaust wrap and make up some 6-12mm chainmail sleeves to sit over the top. Rings come in a few different cross-sections and a lot of different finishes - Chrome, rust, satin, antique, gold, silver and even lurid platinum tints.

By the end, you'll have forearms like Popeye and a grip that can crush a wrecking ball. But it'll be one hell of a project and you'll need months of patience - Trust me. I used to make maille for folks, once.

This is sounding like way too much bother to me, think I'll probably just send off for one of these things I've seen on ebay, give it a whirl and see if it works. By that I do not mean I'm going to deliberately touch the exhaust when it's hot to see how it feels, lol!

its your bike to do what you want

be different why the hell not!

personally i dont like the bandage look but i seen chain mail sleeves the other day

doesn't help the heat problem but looked smart as hell lol

Yep seen chain mail too, maybe on American Chopper (OCC) and it does look smart, but need to get the orignal problem sorted first!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online