XS 250 Poor Spark

jakblade68
This post is 4507 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The spark appears to be a bit weak on the old XS, does anyone have any recommendations on where to source some

New coils from, don't really want to end up with some cheapo nasty Chinese tat 'tis all.

Or any ideas why spark would be weak, have new plugs,leads fitted already.

Cheers Jak....

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

jak,

check earthing from battery to engine and to frame (take off and see bright metal then wd40/acf50 it)

Is it TCI or contacts?

I got new coils from rex caunt racing http://www.rexcauntracing.com/pages/htcoils.html

What about stick coils, ? individual coil. Fat blue spark,,,[ practical S,B, mag ] this month,, :eusa_think:

Should be points I reckon Drewp's, to be honest not looked as yet. Off work all day Friday,missus at work,kids at school....Soooo gonna start at the beginning checking connections,points,re-gap plugs,check new HT leads,battery/coil connections get the trusty old volt meter out have some head scratching fun....Asked about the coils 'cos if all else fails gonna get some new coils and points......Cheers...Yet again Mr.Drewpy.....

Thanks for the stick coil info Blackhat but a bit too rich for me.......Bit tight me, you see.... :eusa_whistle:

Well today was a failure as far the XS goes, but.... got the rear wheel hub swapped out on the Mundaneo and got the lawns cut (under her orders,that one)...Checked everything on the XS as far as connections goes and all appears OK, even swapped the coils for some I found in the bottom of a box o bits, still wouldn't start, flattened battery twice and got tired trying to kick it off so resorted to swearing and kicking the bike as well.....It may come as no surprise that that didn't work either...... Oh, well back the beginning another day...... :shakeno:

start from scratch, take points out and dress them, clean with contact spray. put back in the right order so they don't earth out to the engine.

set timing

check red/white to coils for power

take off ht caps and re-wind them back in after checking the core it in contact with the caps

re-time valves.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online