Fork oil XVS650

chopper667
This post is 4354 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in ages... now I have acquired a complete front end from an XVS650 which I have put on my Enfield Bullet 500... long story!

My question is:

I want to drain the fork oil and add stiffer oil... I can see a drain bolt on one leg but not the other - do you have to remove the spindle and wheel for the other drain bolt to be accessible?

Many thanks,

Peter.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not talking about the bolt on the front edge of one (I think the right) fork leg, are you?

If so, that's not a drain bolt - It's the pinch bolt that secures the spindle.

Aye, that's the one and thanks for your swift reply!

So... how do I drain these little beauties?

Refer to pages 6-32 to 6-39 of the Service Manual.

I have an e-Copy, but it's 15mb!

"Remove dust seal (with flathead screwdriver), remove retaining clip.

Remove damper rod bolt, remove damper rod & rebound spring.

Carefully remove inner tube, with the fork horizontal in a vise".

It doesn't actually mention draining the oil at all, which is worrying.

I prefer to just let my mech do it. He likes this sort of thing!

I think that is only if you are stripping the forks to replace the seals etc. Surely it would be just a case of removing the forks from the bike, removing the top cap and springs and turning the forks upside down to drain.

That's grand, gentlemen, thanks very much.

Now taking the forks off ain't a problem as such, only I believed (up until now) that the only way to get all the existing oil out was to remove drain bolts/plugs and compress the forks - I have done this before by applying front brake and bouncing it. Similarly, I have read that the same proceedure is recommended when you fill 'em up. After replacing the bolts of course.

Does anyone know if there are drain holes inside the bottom of the forks, i.e. higher than the spindle holes?

Perhaps someone with a little time could check their manual... I would buy one if I had the whole bike but seeing as I only have the front end (and cash is tight right now) I have other 'priorities' like feeding those pesky kids!

In addition, what would be the correct amount of oil to use in each leg?

Much appreciated ;)

Looks like you can't do that as there's a cap in the way - There does appear to be a bolt up the bottom of each fork outer tube, but I'm thinking they mainly hold the cap in place, which is connected to the inner tube. I haven't actually taken these apart myself yet, so I haven't a clue.

PM me your email - I can send you the manual PDF, although it is 15mb.

Hi Chopper, if these are anything like my forks then the allen key at the bottom of the forks holds the inner damper rod in place which in turn the main spring sits on, this you ONLY remove if you want to remove the inner leg (rechroming and such) I would suggest that is not what you want to do as it is not only a bastard to get undone but a double bastard to do back up again. I think that the suggestion you had about taking the end cap off and inverting the forks is probably the best way to go, once the forks are inverted you can then pump them up and down to remove any old oil that is in them and leave them overnight to drain out. I used 20/50 motor oil in mine as the haynes book of jokes said it was an accepteble alternative to fork oil which is twice as expensive and it does the same job and has an almost identical sae number!

Hope that helps a bit? :jossun:

Yes mate that does help - a lot! I hadn't thought of using 20/50 oil but as I'm riding an Enfield I got loads of the stuff... £4 a gallon at Asda :hyper:

I should be able to get this done at the weekend so will let you know how it goes. I have kindly been sent the manual so I even know how much oil to put in as well!

I played a gig in a church in Stroud about 8 years ago... now that was weird :eusa_shifty:

OK peeps I have now drained the forks of the old oil and used 20/50w engine oile as suggested.

Still a little bouncy for my liking though... is this common for these bikes? Maybe the springs are knackered?

HI Chopper, should not be BOUNCY but firm on the return, could be your old springs are past it tho, glad some one know where I live as it is a nice little town but we do have more than our share of tree huggers and dozy bastards, must be the cotswold influence I think what with marrying your favourite sheep and such, their all into yoga and being green, riding my bike in the town is like taking the Devil to go shopping, with lots of muttering and "oh ars" Ims from that London place.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online