1978 dt 175 spark issues.

reliablecycles
This post is 4503 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys I just picked up a cheeep old 1978 dt 175. It has an older style 74-75 Hitachi ignition on it. Points setup rather than the stock cdi. It's wired for spark only the whole harness has been gutted. So, it's got spark but super weak and very fickle and the plug has to be real close nearly grounding out to see anything. The previous owner threw on a new coil and I tested the primary coil which was in spec the secondary I got weird numbers on but it's in a different scale and my good meter has a dead batt:( Anyway, factory yamaha manual I have says if you have a new coil and weak spark check the condensor. However, I don't have their little electro tester. I am also reading this for the dt -125 model of 1978 only because it had points which is actually a mitsubishi ignition and I am running the older hitachi ignition. So, how do I test my condensor? My stator only has the one coil on it and then the one wire coming off that y's off and one goes to the coil the other goes to kill. upon inspecting some marginal soldering on the stator the coil winding wire came undone from the condensor wire so I touched that up and cleaned up all the solder joints. cleaned points with fine emery cloth and still no spark. Weh weh. I guess I'll check the ignition coil frame ground and make sure it's not rusty. I have new points and condensor on the way but looking to run some tests in the meantime. thanks
modify_inline.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds like its running the orignial CDi source coil, which will provide high voltage, but not provide enough current for points.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online