Just arrived home with a Townmate T80....

This post is 4224 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone,

It's Pat here form Ireland (I know, the name is original)

I was on the look out for a T80 for the past while but was on a very limited budget, I finally managed to pick one up over the May bank holiday weekend. What character this bike has. It has 6000 Miles on board and in relatively good condition. Seemingly it was in a garage for the last 8 years. The crazy thing was that once new petrol was added a few kicks and it started. From then it's starting on the first kick.

I think i'm going to strip it back to the mental and refurb it from scratch, does anyone know where is the best place to get parts. I have all original lights but what i need is a new exhaust and a set of the white shields that sit on the front of the bike.

Looking forward to hearing all your suggestions

P

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well it's actually fine with the exception of the gear change lever - I need to pick up one and I see that this is one on ebay. The cables are slightly stiff but apart from that it's perfect. I'd like to give it a respray to freshen it up... Now I have to figure out how to service this thing

:welcome: Pat try and get a parts book or try an online parts book like cmsnl.com and google the part numbers, sometimes comes up trumps.

Also helps if you phone Granby's or motoward with the numbers and they can check their fiche.

• 2 months later...

SO - I'm finally getting a move on with getting the townmate back on the road...

This was the condition it was in when I took it home

Scrap.jpg

After much consultation I decided to get the casing, drive shaft and frame sandblasted and powder coated.

Townmatefull.jpg

Also got a set michelin wets

Townmatefront.jpg

Shouldn't take to much longer to get all up and running

Looks lovely... off to a great start. :)

• 1 month later...

wow thats a great job Pat :thumb: whats the plan then...to keep or sell on for another project?

I really don't know what to do... I went to all the extreems of sandblasting back the frame and casing then powder coating. I then sprayed up the plastic parts. Full stainless bolt kit for engine and frame, all wiring re soldiered for better contacts, new tyres, new shocks, new battery, new exhaust, all new cables and wiring. Ah the list is endless - I wonder what is it worth. It's in better condition now than when it left the factory.

That's a helluva transformation! Nice work. Personally I d keep it in the sitting room. :lol:

That's a helluva transformation! Nice work. Personally I d keep it in the sitting room. :lol:

I'm running into that problem now of "it's too good to take out" - I plan to use it for a few charity runs but not as a communitor.

wot a belter.... you should give yourself a PAT on the back ( pun intended) for the finished article...superb

Ha ha Canny Lad - It was head melting. There was such problems getting parts but worth it

That's a really great job you've done there - definitely a keeper for the living room...! :-)

Welcome, Pat!

Great job, nothing better than see how you recover from the rust and rise from obscurity a nice bike.

(Thanks to www.wordreference.com)