No more super!!

Big Ross
This post is 5821 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The oil companies here are just phasing out Lead Replacement Petrol (LRP). I rely on this stuff to run both my XT500 and my SR500. Now, has anyone had any experience of running any of the big four stroke singles on unleaded? Which (if any) additives work? Do I really need them? 95 or 98 octane? The best thing the oil company rep could come up with the suggestion that I "experiment". I will, if he supplies me with a spare head for a '78 XT!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well Ross.......I've been running my '82 XT550 on 92 octane Unleaded.......with absolutely NO probs to speak of ;)

How long have you been using unleaded (92 octane!!!!)?

Everyday since early February when I bought the bike. ;)

What's sad is that 92 octane is actually Super in my neck of the woods! :rolleyes:

I'm a bit bewildered by the range of additives. I was wondering if anybody had any experience as to which was best. They all claim to "replace lead" (which we haven't had for years) and "increase octane" (which I don't need) so you understand some of my confusion.

What I think they really mean is they replace the replacement for lead ! (But then my head starts to spin around again.)

Anyone used them?

I got some lead additive stuff when I had the old DT175.

Can't remember what make it was....but it was recommended to me by a guy who's a classic car enthusiast.

Those type of guys are the best to advise on it cos they're fanatical about their stuff.

Thanks Alex, I know that Castrol have an additive, as do BP and Caltex, and I assume all the other oil companies do too, but has anyone used them?

These additives are expensive and a pain in the a*s to use. I just want to know if they work!

Ross, If you have any problems with the valves or seats the first sign will be loss of cam follower clearance. Watch your valve adjustment very carfully when you try new, untried fuels. Think Yamaha Australia could help with my info. on enduros to 71?

Thanks Motomech

The reply actually said something like "all models since the early '70s...."

I don't think that's much help for 1971! Go to their webpage and open "support". There is a general series of FAQs there about fuel, and a help line if your questionisn't answered there. Worth a try.

Thanks Motomech

The reply actually said something like "all models since the early '70s...."

I don't think that's much help for 1971!  Go to their webpage and open "support".  There is a general series of FAQs there about fuel, and a help line if your questionisn't answered there.  Worth a try.

Ross, Thanks I'll try.

• 3 years later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online