82 Virago intermittent spark on one side

TRK
This post is 4408 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all.. I'm new here. There is an 82 Virago 500 sitting in the gargae thats been there about 12 years.. My parrents HAD been driving since it was new.. At some point in time the thing started losing spark.. My dad said the coils were bad.. (geting hot and shorting out)

I end up buying it a couple days ago... I checked my spark.. And it appears I am only getting spark randomly on the front cylinder.. Not an overhreating coil.. It fires.. Then it doesn't.. So I decided to swap the wires that run to the coils.. And instantly the front jug was fixed and the rear starting missing..

So... It's obviously gotta be something ELSE in the system.. Like a pickup in the motor, or some sort of ignition box... I see theres a black box on the one side.. It looks pretty culprit to me anyways... And after searching the net, I've pretty well came to the conclusion that infact that this black box is an ignition module of sorts.. I've seen em called a TCI, but search Ebay for one, and all ya find is the black box called (ignition module)

So TCI is what it's supposed to be called, but it is just an ignition module????

If so, I've seen posted on other forrums that these things are known to go out.. BUT QUITE OFTEN they can just be fixed, due to it's a simple wire breaking loose and needs to be soldered back on tight... Anyone ever heard of this being done?? I think next step is gonna be mess with my black box...

The whole bike looks like total hell from being pretty well abandoned.. It's not the bike i remember as a teen, but after looking over the insane carb and fuel setup, I've decided the carbs and stuff should be alright.. All the lights and stuff are working... I think if I can get spark, I can make it a slightly rustier version of it's former greatnes... lol....

Any help would be appreciated greatly...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi TRK. Although I don't have any troubleshooting help, I do have one piece of advice... Post an intro in the New Members forum. You might get more help if the folks know who you are. :)