dark unknown hole ....

mark 88
This post is 4528 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all im restoring an 1985 xt 550. its going reasonably well except for a round hole about the width of your middle finger located just to the right of the front sprocket hidden behind the oil pipe it was plastered over with chemical metal. when you put your finger in for a bit of a probe around you can feel.... the gears !!!!!!! this can't be good. at all. the manual has no mention of the offending hole but its perfectly round you would think it was meant to be there it looks like its being machined in. i can't believe that someone would go through the trouble to go crazy with a grinder and cut a a gaping hole for the fun. any ideas anyone?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the xs400 has 2 of these and have rubber bungs put in.

must be something to do with machining in the factory

Just had a look on the parts cataloque for the XT550J and XT550K and noticed on the J model there are three screws that hold on the front sprocket cover with one screw boss to the right of the sprocket. Just wondering if at some time the chain has jumped the sprocket and broken off the boss hence the repair ?. On the the later K model there looks like only two screws that hold on the cover both to the left of the sprocket. How many screw holes do you have in your front sprocket cover and if three would the one on the right be inline with the "Hole" you've found. Just an thought as I can't see any bungs shown on parts list.

Tony

yeah lads i think that we might be getting somewhere. ive had a good look inside the black hole and i was wrong about being able to touch the gears thank god and there seems to be no trace of oil inside so once i get the generator back on and put some oil in the engine ill kick it over and see what happens and hope i dont have a fountain of oil. if all else fails i can hammer a cork in B)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online