Tire choices XVS1300a

cirian75
This post is 4448 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello there

New guy from the UK here

Just have to pay a small bomb to get my 3rd set of tires on my XVS1300a

the 170/70B16 rear means I only have the dunlops or bridgestones to choose from and here in the UK they rip us off on that rear tire.

I read that you can change to the 180/80 or 180/65 rears, that are also a lot cheaper.

and that gives you the Avon Cobra and Mezter ME880 and Michelin commander II as extra choices.

I'd rather have a more sports type tyre than classic look.

What would you guys recommend?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there, unfortunately it's not as easy in the UK especially regarding insurance... We've discussed this before on here and I'll link later. However Avon reckon they're making a 170/70-16R tyre which should be out soon

As I'm on my phone (which is a pain to use) search 'XVS1300 tyres' and it'll link. In short the tyre manufacturers won't recommend larger tyre sizes eg 180/80 (even though they do in the US) and your insurance will be invalid unless you declare it. Avon are recommending a 180/65 tyre as compatible on the grounds they tested one in Germany but when I asked about it they didn't reply about insurance implications, just that they were developing a 170/70 and it should be out around April... I might chase this up as I think I need a new front tyre, and my choice will depend for the rear (there's lots of.choices for the front but you have to check the tread is ok with the rear tread)

Also the XVS950 has same size rear...

This may interest 1300 / 950 owners

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/news/avon-tyres-showcases-new-3d-ultra-sports-tyre-expo

The Cobra is available in 170/70-16 (though not listed on their website yet)

I wouldn't honestly worry about insurance issues - unless the change in size is too extreme (bead does not sit properly, is forced in etc).

All the insurance company will be interested in, in the event of an accident/claim is that they have legal tread, no damage prior to the accident (that could have been foreseen - failed sidewall etc) and are not marked 'not for road use'.

I wouldn't put it past insurers to check tyre sizes and whether they're standard sizes, eg Bennetts state you must tell them if you use non-standard sizes http://www.bennetts.co.uk/policy/our-modification-quick-guide/ it's also worth remembering Metzeler in the US actively encouraged XVS1300 owners to use a 180/70-16 tyre but when I asked Metzeler UK if it was ok, they said they could not recommendit in the UK due to different rules and regs.

I wouldn't put it past insurers to check tyre sizes and whether they're standard sizes, eg Bennetts state you must tell them if you use non-standard sizes http://www.bennetts....on-quick-guide/ it's also worth remembering Metzeler in the US actively encouraged XVS1300 owners to use a 180/70-16 tyre but when I asked Metzeler UK if it was ok, they said they could not recommendit in the UK due to different rules and regs.

I just think we've almost been brainwashed into this mentality - i've had 1 zx6r and 1 xj6 written off in the last 3 years by idiots in cars. Both were modified, and both were dealt with - without prejudice - by the insurers. I think unless you have a totally non-standard paint-job or a nitrous-bottle they don't really care. Obviously declaring mods is better, but they are clearly more worried about non-disclosure of claims, convictions or usage (all of which are clearly fraud). I think they know that they would have to prove that the policy holder had carried out the mod, and that it was not done by a previous owner and basically gone un-noticed.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online