Which Chain And Sprocket set?

JoeS
This post is 4338 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

My bike is coming up to need a Chain and Sprocket set way before it should be needed but I have no choice, My current one is absoloutely... well.. Nevermind.

Ive been quoted £140 for an official Yamaha chain and I sure as hell can not afford that, Now on ebay there are several choices and anyone with knowledge of quality of brands products could really help right now. If anyone could possibly tell me which is the best of the listed below it would be much appreiciated.

Option 1:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-YBR-125-CUSTOM-CHAIN-AND-SPROCKETS-08-10-/260849071195?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cbbd0f45b

Option 2:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YBR125-CUSTOM-2008-11-D-I-D-Chain-and-Sprocket-Standard-Kit-/140652021139?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item20bf838593

both of these products have several different listings ranging from £30 to £70 but I presume if its the same brand and new its the same quallity so the cheaper I can get good quality the better. Any help would be ace.

Thanks.

Joe.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just because they might be the same brand doesnt necessarily mean they are the same product, theres a lot of variation around in terms of chains.

Id recomend getting a decent o-ring chain, D.I.D are a reputable brand and you cant go wrong with them and £30 is extremely cheap for a C&S kit, im usually paying more than that just for a rear sprocket! Although £140 for a ybr chain is extortionate, id go for the £32 listing you posted, i know its cheaper but its D.I.D and i know they're a good make.

Iv also had JT sprockets in the past and had no trouble.

Just baught the £32 DID set, even if it turns out to not be very good or last long im fitting it myself so I wont loose much If i have to get a new one earlier than usual.

Nothing wrong with DID looked after that chain should be good for 10-15000mls, badly adjusted and left dry you will be lucky to get 1000mls

Agree with Cynic, look after it, i.e. keep it well oiled and it will last longer.

It really annoys me when I see a bike (including a pushbike) with a dry chain.

The only thing you have to decide is, do you oil the chain or wax it?

You will get different opinions here, I've tried both and keep going back to oil.

Whatever you do, do it regular, especially in wet weather which needs daily oiling.

Agree with Cynic, look after it, i.e. keep it well oiled and it will last longer.

It really annoys me when I see a bike (including a pushbike) with a dry chain.

The only thing you have to decide is, do you oil the chain or wax it?

You will get different opinions here, I've tried both and keep going back to oil.

Whatever you do, do it regular, especially in wet weather which needs daily oiling.

I know what you mean, iv past bikes in the past with their chains flapping all over the place! How could you ride a bike with a chain so loose!

My Chain at the momment is currently hanging off, I cant wait to get the new one fitted when it arrives, Ive allways oiled my chain once a week, I'll start doing it daily in the wet and every 3 days in the dry from now on.

I've also ordered a Haynes manual for it, I just need to get some cush rubbers and I have everything.

Thanks for your opinions guys.

I've also ordered a Haynes manual for it,

Well done Joe, you will find that it will pay for itself over and over again.

In normal weather weekly would be fine oiling your chain, but I use my bike to commute to work every day in all types of shitty weather so I keep a can of oil spray at work so that when the chain is still warm give it a quick spray.

Slight Issue, Not sure if its a major one, I baught this :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140652021139?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Chain and sprocket set.

And got a D.ID 428HD Solid Bush Chain

and Techcorps Sprokets.....

Neither of these are what is pictured or Titled...

Is there any difference in quallity and should I return it before fitting?

You got exactly what they told you they would send. They point out the big snazzy pic is one of their upgrades and pic 4 is the chain you will get and you will get 'OEM equivalent sprockets'.

I googled em and far as i can tell they should be fine. Got quite a good write up TBH.

They will be fine, the sprockets are an oem equivilant but the chain is probably slightly better.

Dont worry about it, get them fitted and go for a ride :thumb:

Just as a side note, you should probably read the listing thoroughly before you buy, especially if you thought you were getting something else.

Chain, Sprockets + Cush Rubbers Fitted :D

The gearbox output shaft is quite worn tho, The front sprocket doesnt sit quite right, It wiggles a bit but it will have to do, Im not forking out for a new gearbox at the price of it!

Running well and good now, got a Rev counter coming today that Im going to fit then just a couple of things to do and it will be back to normal. The only issue Im having is finding a new housing for the dials as my current one is cracked, I cant find one anywhere and Im not paying Yamahas Unbelievable prices for it, Just not worth it.

Thanks For all the help guys.

Hi, Thanks for that, Do you think this would be compatable with teh Custom?

You are a life saver... Yamaha quoted me £90 for this! Thank you so much!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online