2003 DT125R Electrical/Indicator Relay Problem

This post is 4333 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Folks

Recently broke the rear light & a few other odds & ends on my bike, which I have now replaced, however there is a terrible buzzing sound coming from the indicator relay under the seat/rear mudguard area.

When I turn the ignition key, the neutral & oil lights no longer light up & I can't hear the little whirring sound that I used to get. The bike will start ok & these lights then come on, however the indicators then will not work unless I am on the throttle, at which point they seem to flash with a strange rhythm.

I saw another post on here in which someone had a similar problem & the advise was to check a joint somewhere along a red wire in the loom, but this problem did not have the relay buzzing sound that mine suffers. TBH, I wouldn't know where to start with regards to finding this dodgy joint on the bit of red wiring, so I'm hoping this is not the problem.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the response Airhead.

Battery seems fine & it starts nicely, but there it seems that there is absolutely nothing electrical happening until it is started - certainly no lights.

The fact that everything kind-of works makes me think that there is no issue with a fuse but that it must be something else...

Any other thoughts/ideas??

off the top of my head,,,, that white box that is buzzing is a relay for all the electricks not just indicators.

Unfortunatly if its buzzing then its fooked and theres nothing for it but buy a new one.

If ya have a manual it says something about it there,,, i dont know where mine is gone to.

what happens when you press the horn button with the key ON but the engine NOT running?

Nothing at all until I start it - same as the lights.

off the top of my head,,,, that white box that is buzzing is a relay for all the electricks not just indicators.

Unfortunatly if its buzzing then its fooked and theres nothing for it but buy a new one.

If ya have a manual it says something about it there,,, i dont know where mine is gone to.

Ta, I'll dig out the manual.

Hopefully it is just a case of replacing it. Another £30 down the pan, hey-ho, my own fault for being a tool I guess.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online