Yamaha SR125 Front Disk Brake Binding?

thomasrolewis
This post is 4533 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

So I tried to take my front calliper off today, followed all the steps in the manual but to no joy. When I undo the bolts and slacken the pad retaining bolts the calliper is meant to "slide" off. Well, mine doesn't.

I think the pads are sticking or something. Anyway, I have no idea what to do now. Hit it with a hammar? Until I get it off I can't do anything though. What's your advice?

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well I just watched a video on youtube, the guy was just like "oh, it's not coming off. I'll just bleed it a little." And then it came off. Yeah, I'm guessing mine needs a big ass clean, because it looks like it hasn't been done for a long while.

I'll order some new pads and try to get it off to clean it tomorrow. Bleeding makes sense as it releases pressure, right? How would you do it?

I have no idea how the previous owner felt safe on this bike.

I'll try and sort the brakes, I should wait for my new pads first though I think. Could be that one of the pistons has been pushed out way more than the other. Causing it to stick as well as wear unevenly I guess.

I have a lot more experience on car calipers than bike ones but there along the same lines.

Opening the blees valve on the caliper (nipple) will obviously let fluid out but if you can't push the pistons back without opening up the nipple you have a problem that needs addressing.

My advice would be to

clamp the break pipe and remove it.

Get a small screw driver or pri-bar and force it open with the old pads in so not to damage the caliper. You could get a wedge and knock it inetween the pads. Try not to hit the caliper with a hammer because I have cracked a few in my time hitting them.

Once it's off get it in a vice and clean it up. You could try to get a bigger bar in or clamp to fit in it or even a caliper wind back tool.

If you still have no joy you could try soaking it in wd40 over night and trying again.

If nothing still eBay it is.

Don't forget everytime you open the nipple you risk getting air in the system. Even if you just back it off just to force the pads off you will

Suck air in. Its not a problem ad Long as you bleed it up when you have finished.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online