Breaking bikes, what to go for?

wild foamy
This post is 4537 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

i've been thinking a lot recently about the values of broken/neglected motorcycles, the cost of repairing them, and then the cost of selling them on as fixed/tlc'd motorcycles, and from what i can see unless its an RD or ultra-rare race rep collectable there isn't a lot in it.

my XJ turbo for example, i have probably spent about the same amount of money buying parts from overseas, sundries e.t.c than it would have cost me to buy a restored example over here, so i then began thinking is it likely to be more cost effective to break certain bikes? if so what bikes would be best to break?

for example, i have been offered £500 for my XJ600 in its current state, but if i was to take it to pieces and sell off the engine, forks, fairings e.t.c i may just be able to make £500 out of it, Fireblades on the other hand are very popular with a high demand for spares, engines selling for a couple of hundred quid, wheels up the ying-yang, what sort of profit margins would i be looking for and what sort of bikes are most popular?

just a'ponderin'...

Foameh x

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yeh foamy " its all about demand, certain bikes [ Z900, Rd400"s, LC350 ] parts price are ridiculous, :eusa_snooty: it depends on the models following,[ saught after] ..

Watch ebay, save the search, and see what prices are being paid , for you said model , then decide ,,

a lot of the trouble is finding a donor bike of said model (RD400 e.t.c) without paying through the ass that still has the valueable stuff left on it

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online