How to remove swing arm bearings?

andrew1980
This post is 4389 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all, I'm after a bit of help with my Thundercat swing arm. The mot is due in may, so after putting it off last year, I have finally decided to take my Yamaha yzf600r Thundercat to bits so I can tidy the swing arm up cos its become really rusty and untidy and wasn't sure if it would cause an mot fail one day. I removed the swing arm with not too much trouble with the help of the Haynes manual. After seeing the extent of the rust I decided against trying to remove it all with a wire brush and sander, so put it in to get sand/shot blasted at a local place. But unfortunately I didn't block up the bearings well enough, so the swing arm pivot bearings and suspension linkage bearings are needing replaced cos they have sand/grit in them. I tried getting them clean with wd-40 but they are too far gone. I've been reading in the Haynes manual and looking online for how to remove/fit these bearings and am a bit confused. Does anyone know if I can drift hit out the suspension linkage ones then push new ones in. And does anyone have some good pics or a video link to how to make and use a bearing draw bolt tool and if yes, do I need to drift punch say the left side bearing out first before I can use the draw tool to get the other side bearing out? Also where is best to get the correct size/type and cheap bearings from? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me cos I'd prefer to give it a go myself and save a few quid too, Andy 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i havent tried this myself but i have heard people warming them up and then with the opposite end off a srew driver knock them out byy hitting it, try and find a screw driver that fits the diameter of where the bearings are and just give them a tap out

I had the same problem with my Thundercat. Tried drifting them out but that just destroyed the bearings.In the end I bought a small conical carborundum thingy (cost about 80p) for my electric drill and ground out one area of what was left of the bearings (ie.the outer shell).You can then get a small chisel or screwdriver and lever the the shell out. Don't know if you know what I mean but it worked for me.