'Super Unleaded'

Grouch
This post is 4383 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The last time I was buying fuel for bikes it was four star. When I filled my bike up today I put super unleaded in because I didn't notice.

What is the difference, and what are the benefits?

But mostly is it wotrth it?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

95 ron is best for bikes as they are designed to run on it. Unless your running high compression pistons, don't waste your money.

Avoid supermarket fuel, as they dont openly advertise the ethanol content. Which can be lethal in older engines, particularly air cooled two strokes. It really depends on youre riding style and bike.

Some fuels have better additives in. For the little I use my DT, I stick with super, its not much to filla 1.5 gallon tank.

I'm afraid Ethanol is in most fuels by Govt decree. look for the E5 at the pump. they have E10 in USA which is 10% ethanol

My bike is an XT 125 X and I suppose I ride it pretty aggressively. I was wondering what those fuel additives were, the red one in the little bottle. Are they worth buying?

I think I have noticed an improvement in my bike since filling it with super unleaded. I suppose for the extra 10p or so a litre, I might as well buy it, fuel consumption on a 125 four stroke is minimal anyway.

Which is the best petrol station? e.g. Shell, Texaco, B.P., etc. I got told Shell were the best.

As Drewpy said super 97-100 RON is only really useful in engines running a higher compression than standard, more ignition advance or boost. A higher octane number does not make for better petrol, it makes for a charge more resistant to knock. At present only BMW motorcycles uses knock sensors which can allow the engine to get more power running on super, don't waste your money.

It is also a myth supermarket fuel is inferior, the British and EU standards for fuel compel the manufacturers to very narrow variations in formulas.

Ethanol, aside from perishing fuel system components (at concentrations above 15/20%), also makes the fuel hygroscopic meaning it will 'go-off' [absorb water] if in the tank for more than a few weeks. In theory above 15/20% the vehicle should be running 'flexfuel' sensors that can alter injection criteria to maintain the stoichiometric ratio (unleaded 14.7:1, ethanol 10:1ish).

I still maintain that 98 Ron us better for my old dt. It is prone to detonation with premium. It may be luck, but I have only seized my bike/ had over heating problems on supermarket fuel. Ethanol can also potentially lean the mixture too.