old thumper bad wiring

mark 88
This post is 4545 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all iv just got a hold of an 1982 yamaha XT 550 as a project the main problem that i have is tail light/brake light. when the headlight is switched off the tail/brake light works fine, only lights up when the brake is pressed. but when the headlight switched on the tail/brake light will not work in any way, not to light up the number plate or as a brake light even when the brake is pressed. this is the one major thing stopping me from getting the bike road legal. can anyone help me ??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm sure there will be some on here that might help - but an introduction in the New Members section will smooth the process, and it is only polite.

As someone else has said - you wouldn't walk up to a group a chaps in a bar and just ask a question.

You should have three wires going to the rear light, a Yellow that does the brake light, a Blue/ Red that does the tail light and a Black that is the earth. Are these connected to the corespnding wires in the loom .Check mailnly the rear light is earthed ok.

Tony

yeah i was on for quite a long time trying to find the new members section lol that can the only thing causing the problem ill dig into the loom and see what i can find thanks everyone.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online