Exhaust guard ? 2005 V Star 1100

Raininak
This post is 3953 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First let me say hello. I am a new Yamaha owner (previously had an older 75 Kawaskai. Now running a new to me 2005 Vstar 1100. I have probably a novice question. One of the chrome cover guards on the top exhaust has come lose (1 of 2 screws). The screw threads through another chrome guard. I figured I could just remove the two screws that seemed to be holding the chrome to the exhaust with little effect. While did loosen it a little, I can't get it off to secure the screw through to the smaller chrome plate.

Additional informaiton - This is the top chrome plate located approximatly 10 inches from the exchaust / motor connection.

Any help would be benefitial. I'm ready to ride but am affraid the plate will come complely loose and fall off.

• 1 year later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I know this question is a bit old, but I thought I would reply so hopefully someone else will benefit. I had the same exhaust guard come loose on me recently. The front bolt came out completely and the back one was loose. The best way I found to fix this is to remove both bolts that are holding the larger heat shield (just behind the loose shield). Remove the little bolt in the bottom of the pipe (to give you a little more room). I then used a dremel-type cutting wheel and cut the bracket holding the larger heat sheild to the pipe right beside where it was already welded. After cutting this loose, I was able to rotate the larger heat shield away from the pipe enough to get at the bolts. I removed them and replaced with bolts that had a 10 mm head (instead of the phillips head...so I could get them a bit tighter). I used blue loctite on them when I put them back in, so hopefully they will not back out again. After getting the bolts tight that hold the small heat shield on, I used a little 110 Volt welder and welded the piece I cut back together again. I then put the two brackets around the pipe, put the bolts back in again, and put the little plug bolt back in the bottom of the pipe. I hope this helps someone...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online