R5 Turn signal question

monkeyman
This post is 4541 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all, I am in the process of getting my 1970 R5 on the road after a few mechanical improvements but am looking for a little help with the electrical, hoping you guys might have some thoughts on this. I've purchased some turn signals for her, but am not sure of their installation. In the rear, bundled up in the stoplight bracket, are a few wires, and I think only a three of them should be there, the others look like they might go to the turn signals. To the stop light, there is a yellow, blue and black, that all go to the stop light socket. Those three look like they belong there. There is also a brown, and two black there, with wire nuts on them (nice). I think one of the blacks should be a green wire that was just replaced with a black. I think the brown is the Left turn, and the other black is a ground. Under the seat, there is a brown and a green coming from the front of the bike, just clipped off. I would think these are the wires that should be connected to the back turn signals.

In the headlight bucket, nothing seems to be unplugged, so I'm not sure what to connect to there. Doesn't look like anyone's messed with that harness. I sure would appreciate some help, wiring is not my thing.

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You are right in that there should be two wires going to each indicator. Dark green is the feed to the RH side indicators with a plain black being the common earth on Yamaha's and Dark Brown is the feed to the LH side indicators with again a plain black for the earth You should have a Dark Brown and a Dark Green in the headlamp shell unless someome has cut these as well.

hope this helps. Tony

Edited by alexasigno
Removed link to copyrighted material

Tony, that really does help. Thanks! I do have a follow up question if you don't mind. Since the front and rear indicators only have a single wire exiting, am I to assume that bolting them to the grab rail and headlamp shell will provide the ground? I appreciate the help and the diagram.

Mike

Just had a look on the parts list here http://www.yamaha-mo...L_R5_(R5_-_1970)

and it shows a seperate wire thats held on to the indicator stud that provides the earth which should plug into a plain black in the harness.

Tony

Just clicked on link and it doesn't go straight to it but if you select :

Step 1 Motorcycle

Step 2 1970

Step 3 R5

Step 4 Turnsignal

you will see item 9 which is the seperate earth wire

Tony

Thanks guys. Seems like an odd way to ground the wire, certainly more chance of coming loose. But hey, we'll see what happens. Hope to let you know when they're functioning. Not sure why I want to get the directional lights working, it seems like most drivers consider them "optional equipment". Just trying to stay safe...

Appreciate the help,

Mike

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online