DT175MX 1979 - Parts Question

viper79
This post is 4546 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello All....

I own a 1979 DT175MX and was looking to purchase some parts from ebay (Carb, Oil Pump & Reed Valve) to fit to the bike. Would parts from a 1g1 1976/77 DT be suitable for the 1979MX?

Many Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Airhead - Many thanks for the reply.....not sure what version it is.....How do I know? It looks like a square section swing arm version. On the log book its a 24/05/1980 DT 175 MX 2K4 - Another quick question for you - Im getting lots of 2 stroke oil into the crankcase....Nearly all the 2 stoke oil is gone and the dipstick level has gone well past max.....the colour on the dipstick is the same as the 2 stroke oil! The crank seals were replaced by my dad a few years ago...(I remember it well as he said it was a pig of a job to do).where else and why could the 2 stroke oil be leaking into the crankcase? The bike does sit in the garage for a while over winter and I remember last summer I had issues with the bike keeping very high revs after doing speeds of 40-45mph with the engine warm - The only way of getting the revs to idle correctly when coming to a stop was to give it some quick short revs..........

Any help would be much appreciated!

Viper

Airhead - Many thanks for the reply.....not sure what version it is.....How do I know? It looks like a square section swing arm version. On the log book its a 24/05/1980 DT 175 MX 2K4 - Another quick question for you - Im getting lots of 2 stroke oil into the crankcase....Nearly all the 2 stoke oil is gone and the dipstick level has gone well past max.....the colour on the dipstick is the same as the 2 stroke oil! The crank seals were replaced by my dad a few years ago...(I remember it well as he said it was a pig of a job to do).where else and why could the 2 stroke oil be leaking into the crankcase? The bike does sit in the garage for a while over winter and I remember last summer I had issues with the bike keeping very high revs after doing speeds of 40-45mph with the engine warm - The only way of getting the revs to idle correctly when coming to a stop was to give it some quick short revs..........

Any help would be much appreciated!

Viper

Ahh despite your topic heading 1979 it has now changed to 1980, in that case the carb id is 3U500

As for the oil in the crank? you mean in the gearbox ;) it happened to me once when the seal had popped out of its location in the oil pump drive shaft, you'll have to take off the right hand clutch cover to see (drain oil first)

It's not worth considering any other faults until you sort this

Have you posted an intro in 'New Members' ?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online