Giving up before I start?? :o)

Taffdiver
This post is 4472 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, Just brought my first ever motorbike at a ripe old age of 53, its a 1998 Yamaha 600-s Diversion with a Squire Sidecar unit (Yeah I know but each to there own) Haven't passed a bike test but hoping to complete a DAS asap. Anyway got on the bike this morning just to ride her out round the field as she's been stood for a while, as I was leaving the shed my german shep ran in the way causing me to swerve, subsequently the outer front roll bar frame of the chair hit the steel pylon upright of the shed causing me to be thrown and the bike n sidecar to tip over onto her right side with chair uppermost, smashed spotlight on chair and broken mirrors on bike. Picked the bike up and no major damage other than the bike now leans slightly away from the sidecar so the sidecar frame must be offset........ But she is now continually turning over (engine not starting/running) and cannot be stopped by the key or the kill switch, the only way I could get her to stop turning over was to disconnect the battery. With the ign off and kill switch on she still turns over when I connect the battery up....... I haven't a clue about bikes so any help much appreciated guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Starter button seems ok with no obvious damage to it and no damage I can see to the right side of the bike, luckily my body cushioned the bike haha but can't really check anything as battery disconnected. Pulled up the rubber boot covering the wires/terminal on the starter motor and all seems ok there terminal looks a little rusty?? Electrics are and always will be a black art

Starter button seems ok with no obvious damage to it and no damage I can see to the right side of the bike, luckily my body cushioned the bike haha but can't really check anything as battery disconnected. Pulled up the rubber boot covering the wires/terminal on the starter motor and all seems ok there terminal looks a little rusty?? Electrics are and always will be a black art

between the battery positive and the positive of the starter motor will be the starter relay - it switches the high current >20A needed run the starter motor. If this jams or the connections are damaged it can cause the motor to spin with the battery connected and nothing else on.

Many thanks guys will go check out your suggestions

Failing that, if you dont know much about bikes i would suggest you take it to the local garage for them to have a look over it

Garage?????? with the expert help on here :spin2:

Thanks for your advice guys, stripped and cleaned the terminals on the starter motor also some of the wires leading to the + and - terminals on the battery were just bare and twisted around the terminals (why do people do that, even on cars, always amazes me) so put proper connectors on the wire ends, and bingo everything Ace to Base and working spot on.... In all took 30 mins to sort out............

I live in Powys Mid Wales (nr Rhayader) we used to have a Bike Driving lessons company called "Riders Edge" just 3 miles from me, but typical now I want to do my DAS they shut down and moved last year, searched internet and yellow pages etc and can't find no-one else in the area giving bike lessons grrrrrrrr

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online