Oils are more complicated than I thought...

Morpheuz
This post is 4564 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

http://www.positivespin.us/MotorOil.htm

Worth a read. Its posted everywhere, but this is just one link.

Its scary to think that running a 10w-40 is running a 10 weight oil with a heat thickner added.

Synthetics are the other way around. Base oil of 40, that is as thin on start up as the 10 weight based oil. Theres a reason to spend more lol

I also learnt that when cold, (W rating) the oil is not thinner than the hot rating, its just less thin that it would be, if it was a single weight oil.

All oils are too thick at start up apparently. I believe it, because when cold I put a gloopy substance in, and when hot its like water coming out. That always confused me. They dont make ratings simple do they?

Ive switched to a 5w-40 for my bike, because the rattle on start up isnt due to the oil being too thin, its due to most of it going out the bypass valve with it being too thick its not up in every nook and cranny.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online