1982 GT 80 Enduro Wont shift

falconman13
This post is 4371 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello guys,

Have this little GT80 got off ebay , was sitting for a long while. cleaned it up , lubed, and the normal stuff, The shifter will move and spring back, but it will not engange any gear. I can engage and release the clutch, but the bike is stuck in some gear.

I got it started and it will start and run fine, but it will not shift.

Think the clutch is shot too because it will not pull with the clutch all the way out, the cable is adjusted as far as it can go,

So I am going to have to open it up to take a look at this clutch, was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to look for as far as the shifting?

Bent fork? Broken shaft?

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

Mike

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok you have said the bike won't go into gear, but its stuck in gear, and the clutch works fine, but the clutch doesent work.

Don't mean to be a pain here but i'd start again as that lot makes no sense. I think i know what your on about, but i'd re read it to get the best advice.

If it helps when you press the gear lever you should feel an initial movement then you should feel it engage with a resistance which is the mech that rotates the drum. The lever should then contine to travel as the drum turns to actually opperate the selector forks and change the gear.

It may just need to be worked if its stood for a long time. Not uncommon for the drum to stick in position slightly.

Thanks

The bike is in gear, which gear, I dont know,

With the bike on the stand, if I rotate the rear wheel or the kick starter, the motor turns over

If I pull in the clutch and do the same, the motor does not turn over, So, I figure the clutch is working

I can take it off the stand, and with the clutch lever pulled in, I can kick start it and it will run so long as I keep the clutch engaged

If I lut the clutch out, the bike will start to pull but it really cant even pull its own weight, that is why I assumed the clutch is worn out

As for the shifter it will move up, and spring back, but it is not engaging any gear.

Trying to move it down and it is pretty solid. So I guess the drum could be stuck as you say.

The bike had almost no oil in it when I got it so who knows

I was hoping that by running it it may free up whatever bits are stuck, I was going to try to start it and see if I rode it around a while in whatever gear it was in, if that would free it up But the lack of clutch kind of ruined that plan.

Thanks

Mike

Hmm, does sound like its all dried up inside.

The question is, will it be better to pull the motor and have at the dried out internals or fill it with oil and see if you can work it free. Trouble is the little stroker will only have splash lubrication so unless you ride it the drum will never get any oil as its at the top of the cases and as its in gear the clusters won't spin while its static. Do you get any joy rocking the bike with pressure on the lever? Think your going to be getting oily.

There was a fellow on a while ago now with a similar issue. But he could ride the bike just not get the top couple of gears. That just needed working through the gears for a while to free it.

Thanks you have been a great help.

I have a grandson that is itching to get on this ever since he heard it start.

He would be happy to ride it all day long in whatever gear its in.

Think what I will do is put a clutch in it and then see if it will pull, if it will, I will turn him loose in the back field until he runs it out of gas, then check the shifting

Will let you know what I find

Mike

The gearchange mech is mostly below and behind the clutch so it should give an indication of whats going on inside. You may even be able to get inside with some spray penetrating oil to help.

Opened the case and as expected the clutch is shot, but I think I found the shifting problem too.

The 353-18120-00-00 SHIFT LEVER ASSEMBLY is broken, Am on a search for a good used one, the dealer wants 60.00 for one, seems a bit steep to me

Thanks

Mike

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online