XJ600N Front and Rear Sprockets

Matthew Duncan
This post is 4479 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After fitting a new chain to my bike due the the previous one exploding, i checked the sprockets and reacon they could do with some new ones, according to all the service recipts, parts recipts and diarys i got from the previous owner . . it would appear that the ones on the bike are the same ones that were on when it left the factory 24000 miles ago. .

question is, what should i get ? my choices dor both sprockets are stock, one more tooth, or a tooth less.

if i was wanting to gain a bit more power ( quicker acceleration ) what would i be best changin ? front sprocket extra tooth, rear sprocket on less tooth and so on so on . . also, what kinda affect would that have on my top speed ?

Help would be appretiated,

Matthew

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you want to lower the gearing to give you better acceleration but a lower top speed you want to reduce the teeth on the front sprocket or add teeth to the rear sprocket. And to raise the gearing to give you a higher top speed but less acceleration you want to add teeth to the front sprocket or reduce the teeth on the rear sprocket. The standard gearing is usually a compromise between the two so you don't want to go too much either way and also make sure when changing sprockets that there is enough clearance for the chain under the sprocket cover. Usually adding or reducing one tooth on the front sprocket is roughly the same as taking or adding 2 or 3 on the back.

Tony

Why bother, won't make a whole chestnut of difference to a 600 anyhow.

If your after tenths of a second at Mallory park fine, on a divvy ridden all year. Stock is best.

well, atm my bikes restricted so i only have 33 horses to play with :/