XJ6 Diversion (2010) - issues with Givi luggage rack

cliverlong
This post is 4361 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I bought some some Givi luggage for my new (2nd-hand) XJ6 Diversion. The racks fit securely, even if the fitting process was fiddly.

However, the T275 rack slightly obscures the rear indicators and the situation is worse , in my opinion, when the panniers are fitted.

On the following image: http://www.motorcycl...exd.asp?id=1090 the rear indicators extend much further back than the rack.

On my XJ6 one part of the rack lies "in front" of the indicator lenses, hopefully that is clear on the attached photographs. (first time I have tried this image sharing)

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

However, the indicators are clearly visible from a distance behind and the the side so I don't think this is a safety issue.

However, when the panniers are slung over the back and the straps under the seat, not matter how far forward I position the panniers the rear indicators are completely obscured from the side of the bike. Is this a safety issue in UK or anywhere in the EU? Is there a fix? All I can think of is somehow getting the indicators on some stalks projecting backwards.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Clive

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i have the givi plxr luggage on my XJ6 - as the panniers are solid this does not occur. I think some brackets would do the trick.

have you had anyone follow you to confirm the lack of visibility of the indicators or otherwise?

cheers

Hi,

In one of the photos I linked to in my original post, I have shown by a yellow arrow that when the panniers are fitted, then you can't see the indicator from a side view of the bike as it is obscured by the bag.

I think the original XJ^ licence plate holder has been replaced with the following item:

http://www.flitwickmotorcyclesexpress.com/r-g-tail-tidy-yamaha-xj6-tail-tidy-lp0079bk/

as the holder of the light above the licence plate on my bike has the stamp "R&G" - a bit of a giveaway. From the picture of the tail tidy on the web site link above I think one can see the indicators get positioned much closer to the brake light than in the standard bike.

I have sent a message to this company, http://www.yamabits.co.uk/yamaha-xj6-licence-holder.html as this version of the licence plate holder may project enough to "clear" the rear panniers.

Regards

Clive

If the rack is going to be there long tem why not relocate your indicators to it.

Ok wasn't expecting quite that response.

your diy level is what? assuming

1) couldn't change a sparkplug- 10) Strip and rebuild an F1 car overnight to relax

Ok wasn't expecting quite that response.

your diy level is what? assuming

1) couldn't change a sparkplug- 10) Strip and rebuild an F1 car overnight to relax

Let's say 3 = enthusiastic but incompetent.

The reading around I have done on the R&G licence plate holder and having lifted the seat, there seems to be little "play" in the wiring to the brake light and the indicators. In principle, it would be "nice" to adapt the existing holder by putting some kind of "extender" between the underneath of the seat and the licence holder. The picture I have in my mind is this will "push" the lights a bit further back, enough to clear the frame and the panniers. The thought that troubles me is the wires just won't extend that far - although maybe some kind of multi-plug / wire extender might do the trick. As I wrote, I'm prepared to have a go and I would rather not shell out yet more money and throw away perfectly serviceable parts.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Well if it were my bike i would be looking at flush fit indicators mounted into the top box base, either stuff from a car scrapyard (car side repeater lamps from a late 90's Ford or Rover are adaptable) or the accessory shops.

The wiring would be easy to extend routed along the framework of the rack with some basic soldering/ heatshrink or if you insist crimps. That would leave the bike with clean lines, indicators you can see and you/your pilloion wont kick them halfway to Moscow getting on the bike.

When I am home at the weekend i will be fitting a set of Givi rails and panniers. Didn't look like it would be a problem from the sales pics but I will let you know!

Just a thought, has the bike had a 'tail tidy' fitted that has pulled the indicators under the rear of the bike (i.e. towards the front)? You can get a rear section pretty cheap on Fleabay if you have (assuming mine is ok when I fit the panniers!)

• 2 weeks later...

I had same problem on my Thundercat. I made a spacer out of 1 inch ply, painted black, screwed the spacer to the original fitting and refitted the indicators accordingly. Simples!!! Also I have seen some indicators advertised that connect to the rear number plate.I think 'Demon Tweeks' sell them.

• 1 month later...

I had same problem on my Thundercat. I made a spacer out of 1 inch ply, painted black, screwed the spacer to the original fitting and refitted the indicators accordingly. Simples!!! Also I have seen some indicators advertised that connect to the rear number plate.I think 'Demon Tweeks' sell them.

I was thinking along the lines of some "extender" but couldn't think of suitable material that was thin but rigid. Painted plywood should do the job. I will give it a go in a couple of weeks when I'm going to buy some plywood for another job

Clive

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online